LINGUIST List 28.249
Thu Jan 12 2017
Support: Heritage Italian languages; General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Language Documentation; Syntax / Netherlands
Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amandalinguistlist.org>
Roberta D'Alessandro <r.dalessandro
Heritage Italian languages; General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Language Documentation; Syntax, PhD, Utrecht University, Netherlands E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Utrecht Institute of Linguistics - OTS
Web Address: https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university/jobs
Institution/Organization: Utrecht University
Duties: Project Work
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Language Documentation; Syntax
Heritage Italian languages
3 PhDs available in the ERC project "Microcontact. Language variation and change from the Italian heritage perspective".
PhD.1 – Person-driven auxiliaries and differential object marking in contact
PhD.2 – Deixis in contact: pronouns, determiners, adjectives and adverbs
PhD.3 – Subject clitics in contact
The three PhDs will have to conduct fieldwork across the three main Italian emigration countries in America where Romance languages are spoken: Argentina, Brazil, Canada/Québec. Each PhD will be responsible for an area, and will conduct fieldwork for the whole project in that area. They will work on different aspect of the syntax of heritage Italian languages in contact.
Requirements for the three PhD candidates include:
- A (soon to be completed) (research) Master’s degree in linguistics or Romance linguistics, with a focus on generative syntax;
- Excellent English oral proficiency, academic writing and presentation skills;
- Fluency in one or more of the contact languages of the project: French, Spanish, Portuguese;
- Knowledge of at least one of the following Italian regional languages: Abruzzese or Neapolitan; Piedmontese; Salentino or Sicilian; Veneto;
- An outstanding record of work in the Master's degree;
- Ability to meet deadlines and work both as an independent researcher and as part of a team;
- Ability to work in an international, interdisciplinary team;
- Excellent organizational, social and communication skills.
- Fieldwork experience and/or knowledge of Italian are a plus.
The project proposal can be found at: http://www.robertadalessandro.it/erc
More info at the application URL below.
Applications Deadline: 25-Feb-2017
Mailing Address for Applications:
Dept: Utrecht Institute of Linguistics - OTS
Page Updated: 12-Jan-2017