LINGUIST List 28.2653
Wed Jun 14 2017
Support: English; Semantics: PhD, University of Lille
Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clarelinguistlist.org>
Ilse DEPRAETERE <ilse.depraetere
English; Semantics: PhD, University of Lille, Villeneuve d'Ascq, France E-mail this message to a friend
Web Address: https://www.univ-lille3.fr
Institution/Organization: University of Lille
Specialty Areas: Semantics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
Candidates are sought for a fully funded PhD position (3 years), starting September 2017.
Savoirs, Textes, Langages (STL, Unversité de Lille SHS) is co-hosting the research project Rethinking English Modals (REM): 'From feature-based paradigms to usage-based probabilistic representations'. The project is co-funded by ANR (Agence Nationale de Recherche) and SNF (Fonds National Suisse de la Recherche Scientifique). It is led by Ilse Depraetere on the French side and by Martin Hilpert on the Swiss side.
The PhD student will be jointly supervised by Ilse Depraetere and Bert Cappella.
The candidate will be expected:
- to develop and implement appropriate methodological procedures to investigate the meaning of modal verbs in English
- to conduct an analysis, including statistical processing, of syntactic, semantic and pragmatic features of modals in context on the basis of a sample from COCA
- to collaborate with the other project participants and to compare the results of the data analysis with those from the project’s other work packages
- to submit research results for publication in peer-reviewed academic journals and to present papers at (international) conferences
- to submit and defend a PhD dissertation based on the project by the end of the PhD contract
- Master’s degree in English (Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, Computational linguistics)
- Excellent grades
- Excellent and demonstrable command of English
- Knowledge of corpus-linguistic techniques
- Excellent analytical skills, which should be clear from the MA thesis or academic papers
- Knowledge of statistics and statistical software is an asset
- Programming skills in Perl or Python is an asset
- Willingness to live near Villeneuve d’Ascq and to travel abroad (for short-term research stays at Neuchâtel and to attend international conferences)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Terms of employment:
- The applicant will be offered a three-year doctoral fellowship grant (32.529€ EUR gross income per year).
- The position requires presence at the campus of the University of Lille SHS, so residence is required at a commuting distance from Villeneuve d’Ascq, where the campus is based.
Application deadline: July, 15th 2017
The application should include:
- a letter in English stating your motivation for the position
- a CV in English
- a copy of BA and MA degrees
- a copy of your master thesis and academic publications (if applicable)
- the names and contact details of two academic referees
Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview (in situ or via video conferencing).
Applications (as an email attachment) and inquiries should be addressed to:
univ-lille3.fr and Bert.Cappelle
Applications Deadline: 15-Jul-2017
Mailing Address for Applications:
Attn: Prof Ilse Depraetere
Pont de Bois, BP 60149
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59653
Prof Ilse Depraetere
Page Updated: 14-Jun-2017