LINGUIST List 28.4752
Thu Nov 09 2017
Support: General Linguistics; Second Language Acquisition: PhD, Carnegie Mellon University
Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clarelinguistlist.org>
Vera Lampley <vl2p
General Linguistics; Second Language Acquisition: PhD, Carnegie Mellon University, USA E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Modern Languages
Web Address: https://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/modlang/
Institution/Organization: Carnegie Mellon University
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Language Acquisition
Second Language Acquisition
The Department of Modern Languages, at Carnegie Mellon University invites
applications for its Ph.D. program in Second Language Acquisition.
The ideal candidate will:
- Hold an MA in linguistics, a foreign language, cognitive science or a related field.
- Be proficient in a second language such that the candidate can teach language
courses offered through the department (e.g., Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian,
Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish).
- Have an interest in one (or more) of the program’s four major research areas: 1) literacy
development in a second language; 2) social dimensions of learning a second language; 3)
instruction and learning of a second language; 4) cognitive aspects of second language learning.
Applications must be submitted online and include:
- Current GRE scores (not older than 2 years)
- Current TOEFL or IELTS scores (if applicable, not older than 2 years)
- Transcripts of undergraduate and previous graduate studies
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of research area interest and career goals
- A writing sample
Carnegie Mellon University recognizes the power of a diverse community and encourages applications
from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds.
Applications Deadline: 05-Jan-2018
Web Address for Applications: https://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/modlang/graduate/index.html
Page Updated: 09-Nov-2017