LINGUIST List 28.74
Wed Jan 04 2017
Jobs: Language Acquisition: Educational Technologist, Columbia University
Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clarelinguistlist.org>
Stephane Charitos <sc758
Language Acquisition: Educational Technologist, Columbia University, New York, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Columbia University
Department: Language Resource Center
Job Location: New York, USA
Web Address: www.lrc.columbia.edu
Job Title: Educational Technologist
Job Rank: Educational Technologist; Other
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; instructional technology, language pedagogy, foreign language teaching
The Language Resource Center at Columbia University seeks an educational technologist with a strong background in second language acquisition theory and practice to support language faculty in the purposeful application of innovative and pedagogically appropriate technological approaches to the language curriculum.
- Assessing language faculty pedagogical needs, specifically with respect to digital technologies.
- Helping language faculty understand and apply technological and non-technological solutions to the second language learning process.
- Promoting and implementing initiatives to integrate instructional technologies into the teaching practice at both the course and program level.
- Assisting faculty in defining the educational objectives related to the digital elements of their course with the goal of assessing the effectiveness of these pedagogical interventions.
- Working with the language faculty and the staff of the LRC to devise and deliver appropriate training to the faculty and to assist faculty in creating appropriate curricular materials to meet identified needs.
- Developing, leading or coordinating professional lectures, workshops and seminars to disseminate advancements in the fields of information technology and second language acquisition to the language faculty.
- Providing project management guidance to full-time and part-time employees when appropriate.
- Working with the Director to develop a community of shared interest among the language faculty.
- Creating and editing digital video, sound and images, including designing and deploying virtual environments for language teaching and language exchange.
- Monitoring developments in the field of L2 pedagogy, instructional design and technology in order to remain current on effective strategies and best practices in these fields.
- Collaborating on the planning, securing, and implementation of grants and other funding opportunities.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent.
- Three years' related experience.
Candidate must have interest and familiarity with educational theories and have an interest in applying technical expertise to solve educational challenges. Must possess an understanding of classroom technologies including networking, projectors and other media equipment typically found in networked classrooms. Must be able to write detailed documentation including specifications as well as articles for online and print publications. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required. The candidate must have the ability to devise and deliver high quality training workshops and courses. Candidate must have extensive experience using Macs and Windows machines with Web-based technologies in general and Web 2.0 technologies in particular.
Proven track record designing multimedia materials for instructional use in a second-language setting preferred. Experience teaching in a second or foreign language or TESOL environment.
Please apply using the administrative position open on the Jobs at Columbia (JAC) portal at the URL below (Requisition Number: 085153).
Application Deadline: 31-Jan-2017
Web Address for Applications: http://www.columbia.edu/node/126.html
Page Updated: 04-Jan-2017