LINGUIST List 28.813
Sun Feb 12 2017
Calls: Disc Analysis, Gen Ling, Ling & Lit, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling/Ghana
Editor for this issue: Kenneth Steimel <kenlinguistlist.org>
Clement Appah <cappah
2nd School of Languages Conference E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: 2nd School of Languages Conference
Short Title: SOLCON II
Date: 24-Oct-2017 - 26-Oct-2017
Location: University of Ghana, Accra-Ghana, Ghana
Contact Person: Clement Appah
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; General Linguistics; Ling & Literature; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics
Call Deadline: 31-Mar-2017
The School of Languages and the Language Centre of the College of Humanities, University of Ghana, invite proposals for individual papers, panels and poster sessions for the Second School of Languages Conference (SOLCON II), to be held from 24 - 26 of October, 2017 at the University of Ghana, Legon Campus, Accra.
The conference which is on the theme ''Proverbs across Cultures: Perspectives from Language, Linguistics and Literature'' seeks to bring together researchers, scholars, students, public speakers, and traditional spokes persons to discuss the theme in terms of theory, practice and performance in an intellectually stimulating interdisciplinary setting.
Keynote speaker: Professor Dominica Dipio, Makerere University, Uganda.
As part of the conference, a colloquium on the theme '' Sanitizing public discourse in contemporary societies: The role of proverbs'' will be organized.
Call for Papers:
SOLCON II will be on the theme ''Proverbs across Cultures: Perspectives from Language, Linguistics and Literature''.
Abstract/Proposals addressing one or more of the following subthemes are invited.
- Proverbs and folklore
- Proverbs in modern communication
- Proverbs and translation
- Proverbs in political discourse
- Proverbs across cultures
- Indirections in language
- Proverbs in music
- Sociolinguistics of proverbs
- Proverbs in theatre and the performing arts (performance)
- Proverbs in commerce
- Proverbs in media
- Proverbs in health communication
- Proverbs in language and literature
- Proverbs in sign language
- Gender representation in proverbs
Panels/presenters are however not restricted to the above subthemes and are welcome to present on other related topics in language, literature and cultural studies.
The following formats are available:
- 20 minutes presentation followed by 10 minutes discussion
- 120 minutes panel with four presenters
- Poster presentation
Abstracts/proposals should be sent electronically via EasyAbs at: http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/SOLCON2017
The language of the conference is English, however, panels in other languages are also welcome.
Proposal of panels should consist of:
- Title of the panel
- Proposed panellists
- Discussant (if necessary)
- Language (if different from English)
- Description of panel should not be more than 500 words
Abstract of individual papers:
- Anonymous single-spaced, font 12 pt. abstract of not more than 300 words addressing the theme or sub-themes of the conference should be submitted via EasyAbs at: http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/SOLCON2017
- The abstract should highlight the problem being investigated, methodology, significance of the study, as well as its findings.
- Title: Font 12, Bold, Centred
- Abstract submission deadline: 31 March, 2017
- Notification of acceptance: 21 April, 2017
- Deadline for registration: 15 August, 2017
- Conference date: 24 - 26 October, 2017
- Registration before 30 June 2017: USD100
- After 30 June 2017: USD130
Local participants (Non-UG staff):
- Registration before 30th June 2017: GHS120
- after 30th June 2017: GHS150
University of Ghana (UG) staff:
- Registration before 30 June 2017: GHS50
- after 30 June 2017: GHS70
Students and non-tertiary teachers:
- Registration before 30 June 2017: GHS30
- After 30 June 2017: GHS50
The registration fees include the cost of conference materials (folder, book of abstracts, etc.), coffee breaks and lunch.
Mode of payment: Via Slydepay, with a visa card. A link will be provided later on the conference webpage for this purpose.
International participants are encouraged to register early in order to start visa application process on time.
Selected papers from the conference will be published in a peer-reviewed volume.
If you have any questions, please contact the Chairperson of the Organising Committee: Ildiko Csajbok-Twerefou at solcon
Page Updated: 12-Feb-2017