LINGUIST List 28.911
Thu Feb 16 2017
Calls: English, Cog Sci, Disc Analysis, Ling & Lit, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling/Poland
Editor for this issue: Kenneth Steimel <kenlinguistlist.org>
Wladyslaw Chlopicki <chlopicki
3rd International Communication Styles Conference E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: 3rd International Communication Styles Conference
Short Title: ICS3
Date: 22-Oct-2017 - 24-Oct-2017
Location: Krosno, Poland
Contact Person: Wladyslaw Chlopicki
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://www.pwsz.krosno.pl/research-conferences/
Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Discourse Analysis; Ling & Literature; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics
Subject Language(s): English
Call Deadline: 10-Jun-2017
The Communication Styles conference is the third in the series with the first one held in 2013 and the second in 2015. Both of the conferences were followed by academic publications: a collection of articles entitled Culture's Software: Communication Styles appeared with Cambridge Scholars publishing house in 2015 and a good selection of papers has been accepted for publication in the Styles of Communication journal in 2017. The participants are encouraged to become familiar with these contributions to better understand the scope and focus of the conference series.
The conference aims at:
1) Describing changes and development of established communication styles through the means provided by cultural theorists
2) Defining major culture-specific communication-related concepts as seen from the contrastive perspective
3) Pursuing cross-cultural research that acknowledges the similarities and differences between cultural communication styles
4) Exploring the variety of communication styles and their representation in mass culture and other contexts
5) Investigating the (often covert) ideological dimension of different communication styles.
Specifically, conference presenters are encouraged to focus on the following areas of research:
- Dimensions of culture
- Narrative and religious aspects of folklore
- Pragmatics of intercultural communication
- Creativity and tradition in cultural communication
- Artistic communication
- Humour in culture and society
- Metaphor studies
- Communication in families and across age groups
- Gender communication styles
- Communication in education
- Media communication styles
- Business and workplace communication
- Communication and ideology
- Cross-cultural aspects of translation
- Cultural and linguistic globalization
- Communication problems and conflicts
Confirmed Plenary Speakers:
Professor Milton Bennett, Intercultural Development Research Institute, Milano, Italy
Professor Gerard J. Steen, University of Amsterdam, Metaphor Lab, The Netherlands
A special panel on contrastive analysis of Polish and Estonian communication styles is also planned to take place during the conference.
Regular participants: 400 PLN (or 100 euro).
Doctoral students: 300 PLN (or 75 euro)
Accompanying persons fee: 300 PLN (or 75 euro)
All fees (in Polish zloties) must be transferred to the bank account of Państwowa Wyższa Szkoła Zawodowa in Krosno (Krosno State College) by 15 September 2017. The bank account will be provided on the conference website.
The conference fee covers the conference dinner, conference materials, refreshments during sessions, sightseeing of nearby tourist highlights, and publication of selected papers.
Hotel accommodation possibilities in Krosno include Hotel Portius, Karpackie Pokoje, Hotel Buda, Hotel Nafta, Hotel Twist, Hotel Śnieżka and a number of others. The prices range from 15-50 EUR per person a night
The College is a small but vibrant academic institution, with excellent conference facilities and enthusiastic staff, located in a picturesque Renaissance town in south-eastern Poland (see a video clip: http://www.krosno.pl/en/about-town/multimedia/video/art10.html
). The college is a partner institution of the Jagiellonian University of Kraków, which is the oldest Polish university also ranked as the best one in the country.
Call for Papers:
Paper proposals with a maximum 300-word abstract and the registration form should be sent via this google form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfau40lbc4NUHpBorMqDwccArH2hMAaLxool3fwiz0PhSNfmQ/viewform?c=0&w=1
not later than 10 June 2017. Acceptance notifications will be sent by 30 June 2017.
Peer reviewed papers will be published in a prestigious international journal.
Conference Website: http://www.pwsz.krosno.pl/research-conferences/
Board of Organizers:
Professor Dorota Brzozowska, Opole University, Poland
Dr Wladyslaw Chlopicki, Jagiellonian University, Kraków and Krosno State College, Poland
Dr Liisi Laineste, Estonian Literary Museum, Tartu, Estonia
Professor Villy Tsakona, Democritus University of Thrace, Greece
Dr Christopher Brighton, Krosno State College, Poland
Dr Piotr Romanowski, University of Warsaw, Krosno State College, Poland
Conference Secretary and Contact: Anna Rewis-Lętkowska: ics
Page Updated: 16-Feb-2017