LINGUIST List 29.2131
Wed May 16 2018
Jobs: English; General Linguistics: Consultant, Facebook
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Katharine Davis <katedavis
English; General Linguistics: Consultant, Facebook, Seattle, Washington E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: PRO Unlimited
Job Location: Washington, USA
Job Title: Linguist
Job Rank: Consultant
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
We are looking for linguists to help develop the data infrastructure for Natural Language systems. Our team is responsible for collecting language data, creating targeted labeling systems for a variety of downstream uses, writing clear guidelines for annotation, ensuring the quality of labeled data, and writing the software tools to process, evaluate, display, and distribute the data.
We need linguists who understand language as data, who think analytically and systematically, and who can develop and evaluate ways of capturing linguistic generalizations that are precise, concise, and implementable. Candidates should understand the basics of computer programming, have at a minimum written code for processing text files, and be willing and able to learn new programming languages and techniques.
We value expertise in any sub-field of linguistics, expect a passion for the scientific study of language, and require research experience that includes an understanding of the scientific method and experimental design. We are seeking new colleagues who work well on teams, can passionately argue a position without rancor, and quickly agree on the most optimal solutions to language data problems.
If you know that language data is the underpinning of all current language technologies, if you love practical language analysis as well as theoretical, and if you are ready to adapt your unique skill set to a diverse range of products and problems, then this may be the job for you!
The successful candidate will be engaged in general responsibilities and at least one specialized role.
- Collaboratively develop complex and consistent linguistic analyses
- Pilot new label sets to test their feasibility
- Determine quality standards for annotation
- Annotate language data with linguistic information and author clear guidelines so that others can do the same
- Curate large amounts of annotated data by analyzing annotations, comparing annotations to guidelines, and building gold analyses
- An Ontology Manager to create and revise hierarchical label sets for natural language based on the needs of the product team
- A Tools Developer to create tools for data annotation, data storage, and quality evaluation with an eye towards the long-term
- A Data Quality Engineer to monitor data collection, compile statistics, and ensure data quality
- A Technical Writer to distill complex concepts and group consensus into accessible guidelines
- A Grammar Developer to write regular expressions and Context-Free Grammars for data validation, named entity recognition, information - extraction, etc.
- Academic degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Language Technologies, or related field (advanced degree or industry experience preferred)
- Interest and experience in any area of linguistics, especially discourse analysis and semantics
- Experience with basic programming techniques and familiarity with languages such as Python, PHP, Perl, and C#
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically
Please see the link below to apply.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: http://profacebook.theresumator.com/apply/jobs/details/8HoKkqM8N7
Ms. Kate Davis
Page Updated: 16-May-2018