LINGUIST List 29.2347
Fri Jun 01 2018
Jobs: American Sign Language; General Linguistics: Lecturer, The University of Chicago
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Katherine Karvunis <karvunis
American Sign Language; General Linguistics: Lecturer, The University of Chicago, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: The University of Chicago
Department: Dept of Linguistics and the Humanities Coll Division
Job Location: Illinois, USA
Web Address: https://linguistics.uchicago.edu/
Job Title: Lecturer in American Sign Language
Job Rank: Lecturer
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Required Language(s): American Sign Language (ase)
The Department of Linguistics together with the Humanities Collegiate Division at the University of Chicago is accepting applications for the position of a full-time Lecturer in American Sign Language, for a one-year renewable term starting on September 1, 2018. Responsibilities will include teaching 7 language courses per year, office hours, and additional duties as assigned. The ASL Lecturer will also have the opportunity to collaborate with the group of scholars working on sign languages in several departments at the university.
- Native or near-native proficiency in ASL (ASLPI proficiency level of 4 or better);
- At least a Master’s degree in Sign Language Teaching, Deaf Studies, Linguistics, or closely related field
- Teaching experience at the college level; ASLTA Certification preferred.
- Experience developing all aspects of the ASL curriculum;
- Ability to write letters of recommendation for student dossiers;
- Demonstrated experience with using instructional technology.
- Experience working with students with diverse backgrounds and/or who have challenges to learning;
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and coordinators to develop expanded curriculum and offerings in American Sign Language and Deaf Studies;
- Knowledge of research and best practices in Deaf Culture
To apply for the position of Lecturer in ASL you must submit your application through the University of Chicago Academic Career Opportunities website, provided below, and upload a cover letter, a current curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, student teaching evaluations, and contact information for three references.
Upon request, applicants should be prepared to provide a video or other materials demonstrating their classroom teaching.
Only applications with all required materials and reference letters uploaded will be considered.
This position is included in a bargaining unit represented by Local 73 of the Service Employees International Union.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination at http://www.uchicago.edu/about/non_discrimination_statement/
. Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-0287 or email ACOppAdministrator
uchicago.edu with their request.
Application Deadline: 01-Jul-2018
Web Address for Applications: https://bit.ly/2Jm5ggc
Page Updated: 01-Jun-2018