LINGUIST List 29.2572
Mon Jun 18 2018
Jobs: English; Applied Linguistics: TOEFL Instructor/Associate Professor, Hokkaido University
Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinsonlinguistlist.org>
Jeff Gayman <jeffry.gayman
English; Applied Linguistics: TOEFL Instructor/Associate Professor, Hokkaido University, Japan E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Hokkaido University
Department: Research Faculty of Media and Communication
Job Location: Sapporo, Japan
Web Address: https://www.imc.hokudai.ac.jp/en/
Job Title: TOEFL Instructor
Job Rank: Associate Professor; Professor; Specially Appointed Professor or Associate Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
June 18, 2018
Research Faculty of Media and Communication
Announcement of Job Opening
To Whom It May Concern:
Hokkaido University is pleased to announce an opening for a non-tenured English language teaching position.
A full-time specially appointed, non-tenured associate professor or professor in the Research Faculty of Media and Communication, Hokkaido University.
Teaching English as a foreign language to undergraduate students along with other English language-related subjects.
- Native speaker of English,
- Master’s degree (PhD holder preferred),
- Active research career in Linguistics/TESOL, Area Studies (American Studies, British Studies, Asian/Japanese Studies, etc.) or Media Studies. Research and teaching experience in modern Japanese Studies is particularly desirable.
- Professional qualifications and/or work experience in TESOL.
The contract period is four years. Contract renewal is possible depending upon evaluation of work/academic achievements during the contract period. The period of the renewed contract is four years for a total of 8 years maximum.
Roughly 6.4 million yen per year for associate professor, and 7.4 million yen per year for professor.
- Teaching a maximum of 9 courses (18 classroom hours) per week,
- Conducting academic research and developing teaching materials,
- Entrance examination preparations and grading.
Contract Commencement Date (Scheduled)
April 1, 2019
Application Materials (3 documents in total)
To be sent by e-mail attachment:
1) An application form (one Word or pdf file) containing:
- Cover letter (2 pages of A4 maximum) including your reasons for applying, teaching philosophy, and any particular contributions you can make to the department,
- Resume (include your date of birth),
- List of publications. List separately those publications in refereed journals and those which are unrefereed articles or conference presentations/proceedings,
- Contact details (name, affiliation, title, email address, telephone number) of two referees. At least one must be currently employed in higher education.
2) One sample of your research
-A pdf file or scan of a published paper, a draft of a conference presentation, or an MA/PhD thesis chapter.
3) A scanned version of the degree certificate of the highest degree obtained.
August 24, 2018 (Japan Time: 5:00 PM)
Faculty Website: http://www.imc.hokudai.ac.jp/rfmc/
Please write “TEFL position” in the subject line of the email message.
Application Deadline: 24-Aug-2018
Email Address for Applications: jeffry.gayman
Page Updated: 18-Jun-2018