LINGUIST List 29.2641
Fri Jun 22 2018
Jobs: General Linguistics: Lecturer; The University of the South Pacific, Suva
Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinsonlinguistlist.org>
General Linguistics: Lecturer; The University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: The University of the South Pacific
Department: Faculty of Arts, Law and Education
Job Location: Suva, Fiji
Web Address: https://www.usp.ac.fj
Job Title: Lecturer in Linguistics
Job Rank: Lecturer
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
The University of the South Pacific is the premier tertiary institution in the Pacific region. Established in 1968, it is committed to international standards of research and teaching excellence, with an emphasis on key regional issues. USP is jointly owned by 12 member countries; Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu. Courses are offered face-to-face at our main campuses (predominantly at the Laucala Campus where this position is based), as well as by online and blended modes, in order to cater for students spread across 33 million square kilometres of ocean, on both sides of the international dateline. This location at the heart of the world’s most linguistically diverse region makes USP a fascinating institution in which to work as a linguist.
The successful candidate will be based in the School of Language, Arts and Media (SLAM), which houses the disciplines of Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, Literature, Creative Writing, Academic English, Journalism, Fijian, Hindi, French and Chinese. SLAM places a high value on collegiality and on the development of a dynamic scholarly community. It is one of the most research-focused schools in the university, a trend SLAM invites the successful applicant to continue.
SLAM is seeking to appoint a motivated, experienced and talented individual who can make a significant contribution to research and teaching within the field of Linguistics.
The appointee will be responsible for teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The incumbent will be expected to conduct and publish high quality research within the field of Linguistics, ideally with a focus on issues of relevance to the Pacific region. The position is based at the Laucala Campus in Suva, Fiji.
The Person We Seek:
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- A PhD in Linguistics
- A specialty in one of the following: Phonology, morphology, syntax, or semantics with the ability to teach introductory courses across these areas
- Proven record of effective tertiary teaching in Linguistics
- Experience of linguistic field research, either as part of the PhD research or in subsequent projects
- Strong record of research publications in peer reviewed journals/books and participation in conferences commensurate with the applicant’s career stage
- Focused personal research plan which determines clear and achievable publication and conference goals
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work well within multilingual, multicultural environments
- Good organisational skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Commitment to excellence in research, teaching and student support
- Commitment to working within professional and ethical codes of conduct
- The initiative to drive change and innovation
- Commitment to fostering the sustainability of linguistic expertise within the Pacific region
- A spirit of collegiality and collaboration
The position is available for a term of 5 years and may be renewed by mutual agreement.
Salary Range: FJ $66, 990 to FJ $88, 144 per annum
In addition to the above benefits, the University contributes 10% of basic salary to an approved superannuation scheme, provides airfare and relocation costs where appropriate.
Please see the application link below. Manual and emailed applications are no longer accepted.
Further imformation: Human Resources Office; tel.: (679) 32 32072; email: hrhelp
usp.ac.fj or personnel
Please also include the following documents in your application:
- Cover letter
- Resume clearly addressing key Selection Criteria
- academic transcript
- names of three referees, one of which must be your current or most recent direct work supervisor
Application Deadline: 15-Jul-2018
Web Address for Applications: http://www.usprecruits.usp.ac.fj
Dr Fiona Willans
Phone: (679) 32 32699
Page Updated: 22-Jun-2018