LINGUIST List 29.2856
Tue Jul 10 2018
Jobs: Arabic; Mandarin; Japanese; Marathi; Vietnamese; General Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Consultant, Productive Playhouse
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Laura Maccabee <info-linguist
Arabic; Mandarin; Japanese; Marathi; Vietnamese; General Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Consultant, Productive Playhouse E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Productive Playhouse
Job Location: , ---------------- (Telecommute)
Web Address: http://productiveplayhouse.com/
Job Title: Linguistic Consultants
Job Rank: Consultant
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology
Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb) Chinese, Mandarin (cmn) Japanese (jpn) Marathi (mar) Vietnamese (vie)
Consultant positions available for linguists with a BA or MA in Linguistics in the following languages:
- ja-JP Japanese (Japan)
- ar-XA Arabic (MSA)
- cmn-hant-tw Mandarin Chinese (Taiwan)
- mr-IN Marathi (India)
- vi-VN Vietnamese (Vietnam)
Productive Playhouse, a production company in Los Angeles, is currently undertaking projects for various languages and is seeking linguists who are native speakers for a language study.
Both full time and part-time positions are available, and we are seeking candidates who can commit 20-40 hours per week. All work is online and can be done from anywhere. The estimated timeline for the projects is July - December, 2018.
- Linguists will provide both general linguistic expertise and language-specific guidance as needed.
- Linguists are also expected to help review and revise language specific guidelines, as well as help create rules for text normalization and verbalization in the target language.
- Linguists may be asked to transcribe/verify pronunciations in a web-based tool, according to language-specific phonemic transcription guidelines.
Specific tasks include:
- Phonology inventory
- Phonotactic rules
- Phonemic transcription
- Data annotation
- Evaluation of acoustic data
- Native-speaker of the target language and fluent in English
- Degree in Linguistics or Language-related fields with experience in
phonetics/phonology or speech
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to quickly grasp technical concepts
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
The work can be done online with some flexibility. If you are qualified and interested, please send a brief introductory email and a CV to the email provided below, and please specify your availability (hours/week) and when you could start.
Application Deadline: 30-Jul-2018
Email Address for Applications: info-linguist
Page Updated: 10-Jul-2018