LINGUIST List 29.2896
Fri Jul 13 2018
Calls: Philosophy of Language, Pragmatics, Semantics / Anglophonia - French Journal of English Linguistics (Jrnl)
Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinsonlinguistlist.org>
Olivier Simonin <osimonin
Philosophy of Language, Pragmatics, Semantics / Anglophonia - French Journal of English Linguistics (Jrnl) E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: Anglophonia - French Journal of English Linguistics
Linguistic Field(s): Philosophy of Language; Pragmatics; Semantics
Call Deadline: 15-Dec-2018
Call for papers:
Special issue of Anglophonia on conventional meaning & implicit content
Papers are invited in relation to the following research questions:
- What are the underlying theoretical issues concerning the distinction between conventional and implicit meaning, as well as their typology and their interactions?
- From a historical viewpoint, how and when does what is originally fully implicit become part of conventional meaning (Grice's timeless meaning)?
- How to account for lexical extension with words that become polysemous as they acquire new senses that are initially derived inferentially?
- How can we address the problem of connotation that naturally emerges as a corollary, since pragmatic inferences can change it with linguistic evolution?
- From a theoretical viewpoint or through corpus study, what can be made of rhetorical figures (see, e.g., Recanati 2004 for tropes), their routine employment or new, vivid uses?
- How can discourse markers and connectors be studied in the light of the conventional/implicit opposition? The same problems arise for grammatical markers, which could also lend themselves to corpus studies.
Contributions should follow the style sheet used for the online review Anglophonia (http://journals.openedition.org/anglophonia/354?file=1
) and be sent to o.p.simonin.03
cantab.net and henri.le-prieult
univ-tlse2.fr by 15 December 2018 to be double blind peer-reviewed and considered for publication.
Submission languages: English and French
Page Updated: 13-Jul-2018