LINGUIST List 29.3397
Wed Sep 05 2018
Calls: Anthro Ling, Cog Sci, Disc Analysis, Pragmatics, Socioling/Brazil
Editor for this issue: Everett Green <everettlinguistlist.org>
***************** LINGUIST List Support *****************
Fund Drive 2018
28 years of LINGUIST List!
Please support the LL editors and operation with a donation at:
Adriana Barbosa <islcc2019
International Symposium on Linguistics, Cognition, and Culture E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: International Symposium on Linguistics, Cognition, and Culture
Short Title: LCC
Date: 13-Mar-2019 - 15-Mar-2019
Location: Belo Horizonte - MG, Brazil
Contact Person: Ulrike Schröder
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://www.letras.ufmg.br/simposiolcc/
Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics
Call Deadline: 30-Sep-2018
The Faculty of Humanities at the Federal University of Minas Gerais and the Department of English and American Studies at the University of Potsdam are pleased to announce the International Symposium on Linguistics, Cognition, and Culture (LCC), to be held in Belo Horizonte (Brazil) on 13-15 March 2019.
LCC 2019 aims to bring together researchers in the fields of cognitive, cultural and/or anthropological linguistics, interactional sociolinguistics, and intercultural communication. The main objective is to trigger a deeper reflection upon the relationship between language, cognition, and culture in Brazil and beyond.
We invite contributions that address this relationship from different analytical perspectives. Therefore, we welcome studies that deal with cultural variation in conceptual metaphor, metonymy, and conceptual blends as well as in pragmatic phenomena. Moreover, works dealing with cultural and cognitive aspects of grammar and lexis, of discourse analysis, or of language teaching, translation, and media studies are equally appreciated. Finally, studies on recent methods for the investigation of language, cognition, and culture are also welcome. For more details on the topics of the symposium, please take a look at our call for papers.
2nd Call for Papers:
We invite papers that address the relationship between language and culture from the viewpoint of the aforementioned fields, with a focus on one or more of the following topics:
1. cultural cognition and anthropological linguistic theory;
2. the influence of culture on metaphor, metonymy, and conceptual blends;
3. the impact of culture and cognition on grammar and lexis (morphosyntactic 4-structures, constructions, categories, etc.);
5. the influence of culture in face-to-face, multimodal, and virtual interactions;
6. the study of inter- and cross-cultural pragmatic phenomena;
7. cognitive-linguistic discourse analysis in diachronic and sociocultural perspectives;
8. the application of cognitive and cultural theories to language teaching, translation, and media studies;
9. the recent methods in the study of language, cognition, and culture (corpus-based approaches, multimodal approaches, etc.).
Abstracts (in English or Portuguese, maximum of 300 words excluding references) should be sent to:
(please do not include your name or affiliation in the abstract).
Presentations can be held in Portuguese, but presentations in English are strongly encouraged.
Notifications of acceptance: November 12, 2018.
Page Updated: 05-Sep-2018