LINGUIST List 29.3649
Fri Sep 21 2018
Jobs: English; Applied Linguistics: Fellow, Hiroshima University
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
***************** LINGUIST List Support *****************
Fund Drive 2018
28 years of LINGUIST List!
Please support the LL editors and operation with a donation at:
Hiroko Araki <wrc-research
English; Applied Linguistics: Fellow, Hiroshima University, Japan E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Hiroshima University
Department: Writing Center
Job Location: Hiroshima, Japan
Web Address: https://www.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/en/wrc/
Job Title: Writing Advisor Fellow
Job Rank: Fellowship; Other
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Academic Writing
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The Writing Advisor Fellow will provide consultations focusing on academic writing in English, such as drafts for academic journals and proposal abstract drafts for international conferences. The Fellow will also facilitate writing groups for assisting Hiroshima University (HU) researchers to write high quality journal papers. Moreover, the Fellow will plan, organize, and lead seminars and workshops related to improving HU researchers’ academic writing and presentation skills. Other responsibilities include giving mid-term and final report presentations and to compile written reports based on the presentations. In addition, it is strongly expected that the Fellow will collaborate with her/his colleagues to contribute to enhance research competitiveness of HU.
Services for the Writing Center
- To provide consultation about academic writing in English, such as drafts for academic journals and proposal abstract drafts for international conferences (appointments are given priority)
- To facilitate writing groups for assisting HU researchers to write high quality journal papers
- To work independently or as part of a team to plan, organize, and lead seminars and workshops regularly related to improving HU researchers’ academic writing ability
- To assist classes on academic writing for both graduate and undergraduate students
- To utilize the obtained data and experiences as the Writing Advisor Fellow at HU Writing Center for her/his current or future research and present research outcomes at academic conferences and journal manuscripts
- To collect information about and analyze the standard operating procedures of writing centers at other universities with specific interest in how they support and improve HU researchers’ academic writing; and to analyze the data collected through services such as consultations and writing groups for self-evaluation and improvement of the Writing Center
Initial six-month contract with the strong likelihood of extension to a total of 12 months, based on the Fellow’s performance and mutual agreement between the Fellow and the Research Planning Office.
Primarily at the Research Planning Office, the Headquarter building, Higashi-Hiroshima Campus, Hiroshima University
- Experiences in advising academic writing; Writing tutor experience at a writing center or similar program in a university required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English required, proficiency in Japanese is an advantage.
- M.A. or above in Applied linguistics, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), Literature, Rhetoric and Composition, or Scientific and Technical Writing required. Ph.D. holder preferred.
- Experiences in publishing several journal papers required.
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office applications skills (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) required.
- The ability to coordinate activities and events.
- Presentation and public speaking skills.
Monthly salary is 271,000 Japanese Yen (JPY). Items such as residence tax and annual pension may be deducted depending on individual circumstances.
January 2019 (exact starting date is negotiable)
For more details, see the Application Guideline at: https://www.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/en/wrc/news/47309
To apply, please see the application link below.
Application Deadline: 24-Oct-2018
Web Address for Applications: https://wrc.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/WAF2019/
Dr. Norifumi Miyokawa
Page Updated: 21-Sep-2018