LINGUIST List 29.3835
Thu Oct 04 2018
Jobs: Cognitive Science; General Linguistics: Lecturer, University of Michigan
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Talisha Reviere-Winston <Weinberg.Institute.HR
Cognitive Science; General Linguistics: Lecturer, University of Michigan, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Michigan
Department: Weinberg Institute for Cognitive Science
Job Location: Michigan, USA
Web Address: https://lsa.umich.edu/weinberginstitute
Job Title: Lecturer III
Job Rank: Lecturer
Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; General Linguistics; Computer Science; Psychology; Philosophy
The Weinberg Institute for Cognitive Science in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts at the University of Michigan seeks applicants for a new full-time (100%) academic year Lecturer position. The position will start as early as January 1, 2019, but not later than September 1, 2019, pending final authorization. This is a non-tenure track position. The initial appointment will be for three academic years, contingent upon satisfactory performance, need and available funding. The Institute expects that, for the suitable candidate, this will be a long-term position extending beyond the initial appointment.
The new Lecturer appointed in the Weinberg Institute for Cognitive Science will help support the instructional and administrative demands of the Cognitive Science major by:
- Teaching the gateway course Introduction to Cognitive Science (COGSCI200) at least once per year;
- Providing additional upper division course offerings in at least one of the four tracks of the undergraduate major (Computation and Cognition, Decision and Cognition, Language and Cognition, or Philosophy and Cognition); and
- Providing administrative oversight of advising and student enrichment activities.
The position requires teaching three courses per year. At least one course will be Introduction to Cognitive Science, the interdisciplinary gateway course for the Cognitive Science major (COGSCI200), either alone or as co-teacher with one other existing faculty. The other two courses will be upper-level undergraduate offerings that help to meet curricular needs in one or more of the four tracks of the major.
The position involves approximately 13–16 hours per week of administrative activities. More specifically, these activities will encompass at least the following four areas of responsibility:
- Oversight of peer academic advising;
- Oversight of the creation and execution of student-enrichment activities focused on academic, intellectual, and career development;
- Some academic and career advising; and
- Oversight of the communication and administration of Institute-funded opportunities for cognitive science majors.
We expect that a successful applicant will hold a PhD in Cognitive Science or one of the related core disciplines (e.g. Computer Science, Linguistics, Psychology, Philosophy). The applicant must have interdisciplinary teaching interests and experience, evidenced by interests and experience that span at least two of the core disciplines. The applicant must also be capable of contributing to the upper division offerings in one or more of the four tracks of the Cognitive Science major.
Candidates should submit a single attachment (in PDF format) to the University of Michigan posting via the application link provided below with the following required materials:
- Letter of Application (no more than two pages)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Statement (no more than three pages; includes teaching philosophy and experience)
- Evidence of Teaching Excellence
- Two sample syllabi (from courses previously taught)
- Names and contact information of three recommenders who can comment on the applicant’s qualifications for this position. Letters are not required in the initial application submission stage.
The application deadline for full consideration is October 30, 2018. We hope to extend an offer not later than, if not before, December 15, 2018.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: Weinberg.Institute.HR
Web Address for Applications: http://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/163328/leo_lecturer_iii
Page Updated: 04-Oct-2018