LINGUIST List 29.3943
Thu Oct 11 2018
Jobs: Spanish; Discourse Analysis; Language Acquisition; Lexicography; Pragmatics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Carol Hartley <carolhartley
Spanish; Discourse Analysis; Language Acquisition; Lexicography; Pragmatics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Department: Languages and Culture Studies
Job Location: North Carolina, USA
Web Address: https://languages.uncc.edu/
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Hispanic Languistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Discourse Analysis; Language Acquisition; Lexicography; Pragmatics; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Applied Semantics; Spanish as a Heritage Language
Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)
Tenure-track assistant professor of Spanish with background to teach and develop curriculum in Hispanic Linguistics beginning August 2019.
- PhD in Hispanic Linguistics or related field at time of appointment (areas of expertise may include but are not limited to discourse analysis, pragmatics, text linguistics, second language acquisition, sociolinguistics, lexicography or applied semantics); native or near native proficiency in Spanish and English;
- Minimum of one academic year (nine months) of teaching experience at the university level;
- Evidence of emerging scholarly productivity along with focused research agenda that clearly articulates research and publication plans, including plans to pursue external funding; and
- Stated commitment to promoting diversity and working with underrepresented groups.
- Ability to teach courses in the following areas:
- General or Applied Linguistics,
- Spanish as a heritage language,
- Translation and interpreting (English/Spanish),
- Spanish for Specific Purposes, or beginning and intermediate Portuguese.
Applicants will be asked during their screening interview to discuss how the topics of diversity and inclusion are incorporated into their teaching and research.
Job duties include:
- Teaching two courses per semester;
- Advising graduate students;
- Helping the Department grow programs in Spanish and translation/interpreting; and
- Maintaining successful research and publication record.
As an EOE/AA employer and an ADVANCE Institution that strives to create an academic climate in which the dignity of all individuals is respected and maintained, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte encourages applications from all underrepresented groups.
The candidate chosen for this position will be required to provide an official transcript of their highest earned degree and submit to a criminal background check.
Screening of applications will begin Nov 15, 2018 and will continue until position is filled. Applications must be made electronically at the application link provided below and should include:
- Cover letter,
- Research statement,
- Teaching statement, and
- Copy of graduate transcript.
Three original letters of recommendation must be sent directly to Dr. Ann Gonzalez, Chair, Department of Languages and Culture Studies, UNC Charlotte, 9201 University City Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28223. Email: abgonzal
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://jobs.uncc.edu/postings/24200
Dr. Ann Gonzalez
Page Updated: 11-Oct-2018