LINGUIST List 29.3969
Fri Oct 12 2018
Jobs: French; Applied Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Michigan State University
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Jennifer Nelson <nelsonje
French; Applied Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Michigan State University, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Michigan State University
Department: Romance and Classical Studies
Job Location: Michigan, USA
Web Address: http://www.rcs.msu.edu
Job Title: Professor of Applied French Language Studies
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
Required Language(s): French (fra)
The department of Romance and Classical Studies in the College of Arts & Letters at Michigan State University invites applications for a tenure-stream position in Applied French Language Studies. We are looking for a candidate whose research and teaching interests focus on French language and culture as well as on topics applied to the professions. Potential areas include but are not limited to business culture, cultural and arts management and media industry, translation and interpreting, hospitality, sustainable development, ecocriticism and environmental humanities, international relations, intercultural communication, or other related fields. An engagement in digital learning is highly desirable. The successful candidate will teach two courses per semester in French language and culture that focus on one or more of the aforementioned research areas. This is a 9-month tenure-stream appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor, to start August 16, 2019.
The Department’s collaborative environment promotes world-class research agendas, innovative teaching, opportunities for outreach and community service, and enhanced learning experiences for students locally and abroad. The successful candidate will engage in an active program of research, service, and teaching (two courses per semester), including teaching in the Interdisciplinary Arts and Humanities program in the College of Arts & Letters. The new faculty member should be able to teach a range of courses in French, including advanced language classes and theme-based seminars in addition to courses in the field of specialization applied to the profession. The candidate must show promise of strong scholarship and publication, a commitment to excellence in teaching, and the desire to work collaboratively with MSU’s academic community.
The requirements for a successful candidate include:
- Ph.D. in French or an area related to Applied French Language Studies completed and in hand by the appointment date of August 16, 2019.
- Demonstrated experience teaching French language and culture at the college level
- Near-native proficiency in English and in French
- An active research agenda in the candidate’s area of expertise
- The capacity to expand course offerings in the areas applied to the profession
The review of applications will begin on November 12, 2018. Applications must be submitted electronically to the Michigan State University Human Resources website at the application link provided below. Posting #537899 (for posting outside MSU job website). Qualified applicants should/must submit:
- A one-to-two-page cover letter
- A current curriculum vitae
- A one-page research statement that highlights the alignment of your work with the position description
- A one-page statement of teaching philosophy
- A summary of your experience with diversity in the classroom and/or in your past or planned research endeavors, any experience mentoring diverse students or community outreach initiatives, and an explanation of how you will advance our goals of inclusive excellence, and
- Names and e-mail addresses of three references.
The College of Arts & Letters promotes an academic and organizational culture which actively seeks out and strengthens diverse voices and perspectives among its members in order to achieve true excellence. The College of Arts & Letters is interested in candidates of all backgrounds who are committed to the principle that intellectual leadership is achieved through open access and pro-active inclusion.
Application Deadline: 12-Dec-2018
Web Address for Applications: http://careers.msu.edu/cw/en-us/job/500126/assistant-professortenure-system
Professor Valentina Denzel
Page Updated: 12-Oct-2018