LINGUIST List 29.4048
Thu Oct 18 2018
Jobs: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, Truman State University
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Mary Shapiro <mshapiro
Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, Truman State University, Missouri, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Truman State University
Department: English & Linguistics
Job Location: Missouri, USA
Web Address: http://engling.truman.edu
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Sociolinguistics; TESOL
The School of Arts and Letters at Truman State University is seeking applicants for a full-time renewable faculty position in the Department of English and Linguistics to start August 12, 2019.
Responsibilities include teaching introductory and advanced undergraduate courses in linguistics, sociolinguistics, and the teaching of second languages, and some supervision of service learning and internships, in support of our linguistics major, applied linguistic minor, and add-on ESOL certification program.
Requires a Ph.D. in Linguistics or Applied Linguistics in hand by date of appointment, August 12, 2019.
Applicants will be evaluated on:
- Evidence of and/or demonstrated potential for effectiveness in teaching undergraduate linguistics courses;
- Experience working with diverse populations of English language learners, and experience teaching language pedagogy;
- Evidence of excellent (native-like) written and oral communication skills in English;
- Evidence and/or demonstrated potential for encouraging and mentoring students in transformative learning experiences such as undergraduate research, service learning, and internships;
- Ability to contribute to the linguistics major beyond the ESOL program, including some experience with online teaching;
- Ability to contribute to our broad range of interdisciplinary minors, and our general education program (e.g., by teaching first-year seminars and/or junior-level writing-enhanced interdisciplinary seminars);
- Commitment to the liberal arts with emphasis on undergraduate student development and accomplishment.
Compensation and load:
Salary commensurate with experience and education. The teaching load is 12 credits per semester. Benefits package includes life, health and disability insurance, retirement contributions, and reimbursed assistance for moving expenses.
For more information about the program, please visit http://engling.truman.edu/
, about the university, http://www.truman.edu/about
, and about the community, https://www.kirksvillechamber.com/
The application process is coordinated by the School of Arts and Letters. Electronic submission of applications is required and must be completed at the application link provided below. Completed applications must include:
- Cover letter that addresses the evaluation criteria and any other applicant characteristics that merit emphasis;
- Current curriculum vitae (including references);
- Evidence of potential for or demonstrated success in teaching linguistics;
- Copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable); and
- Three recent letters of recommendation.
Letters of recommendation can be emailed to saldean
truman.edu with a subject heading of “BS Linguistics Search.” Review of applications (minus letters of recommendation) will begin December 1, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. If hired, applicants must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States, official graduate transcripts, or documentation of degrees if transcripts are not available.
Truman State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act; women and minority candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://secure.truman.edu/positionlisting-s/positiondetails.asp?positionId=1680
Dr. James O'Donnell
Page Updated: 18-Oct-2018