LINGUIST List 29.4096
Mon Oct 22 2018
Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Merriam-Webster, Inc
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Merriam-Webster, Inc, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Merriam-Webster, Inc
Job Location: , USA
Web Address: https://www.merriam-webster.com/
Job Title: Computational Linguist, Special Projects
Job Rank: Computational Linguist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics
Are you interested in building new and creative tools for learners and lovers of the English language? Merriam-Webster is seeking a computational linguist to help us develop and deliver new language products to our app and website visitors.
For 180 years, in print and online, Merriam-Webster has been America’s leading and most trusted publisher of language-related reference works. The Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary® is one of the best-selling books in American history.
Merriam-Webster’s websites and apps garner over 3 billion page views annually, and the brand has won numerous awards and garnered extensive press coverage for its products and social media presence.
Candidate will work with product and editorial team on projects involving new word detection, word choice and comparisons, lexicographic data analysis, and other areas of language data processing. An ideal candidate will also have the passion and ability to create new features and products out of lexical data and language corpora.
- Advanced Degree in computational linguistics (or working toward such a degree).
- Hands-on experience in corpus linguistics, including knowledge of widely used English language corpora and the ability to develop new corpora from a variety of sources.
- Experience with use of one or more programming languages (Python, C/C++) in data analysis and manipulation.
- Familiarity with Scikit-learn, SciPy, SpaCy, NLTK
- Extensive knowledge of English grammar, syntax, semantics, and usage.
- Previous experience working with dictionary and/or thesaurus data.
- Hands-on experience with NLP libraries and statistical methods in NLP.
- Published work in syntactic and semantic analysis of corpus data.
- Fluency in Spanish, French, Chinese, other language
This role can be located in either our Springfield, MA or NYC office. To apply, send resume and cover letter to the application email provided below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: linguistjob
Page Updated: 22-Oct-2018