LINGUIST List 29.4171
Thu Oct 25 2018
Qs: Questions about use of “Please”
Editor for this issue: Everett Green <everettlinguistlist.org>
Ida Ryuki <ryuki10310303
Questions about use of “Please” E-mail this message to a friend
Q1. Do you feel something wrong with these sentences? Yes / No
Q2. we would like to ask you to indicate your thought on for following sentences. How do you rate it on a scale of ten? (awkward: 10 ~ ok: 1)
Ex.) Could you please tell me the way to the station?
~In the train~
(1) Please set your mobile phone to silent mode and refrain from talking on the phone.
(2) Please be careful not to get anything in the door pocket.
(3) Please take care that your hands does not get caught in the door.
~in the restroom~
(4) please wash your hands before leaving restroom.
~in the park~
(5) Please don’t ride bicycles.
~in the bus~
(6) If you would like to get off, please press the stop button.
~in the restaurant~
(7) Please decide cup or corn.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Linguistic Field(s): Semantics
Page Updated: 25-Oct-2018