LINGUIST List 29.4307
Mon Nov 05 2018
Support: Language Acquisition: PhD, Carnegie Mellon University
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Vera Lampley <vl2p
Language Acquisition: PhD, Carnegie Mellon University, Pennsylvania, USA E-mail this message to a friend
Institution/Organization: Carnegie Mellon University
Department: Modern Languages
Web Address: https://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/modlang/index.html
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition
Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb)
Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
The Department of Modern Languages, at Carnegie Mellon University invites
applications for its PhD program in Second Language Acquisition.
The ideal candidate will:
- Hold an MA in linguistics, a foreign language, cognitive science or a
- Be proficient in a second language such that the candidate can teach
courses offered through the department (e.g., Arabic, Chinese, French, German,
Japanese, Russian, Spanish).
- Have an interest in one (or more) of the program’s four major research
1) Literacy development in a second language;
2) Social dimensions of learning a second language;
3) Instruction and learning of a second language;
4) Cognitive aspects of a second language.
Applications must be submitted online and include:
- Current GRE scores
- Current TOEFL scores (if applicable)
- Transcripts of undergraduate and previous graduate studies
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of research area interest and career goals
- A writing sample
Carnegie Mellon University recognizes the power of a diverse community and
encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences,
perspectives, and backgrounds.
To apply, please see the application link provided below.
Application Deadline: 05-Jan-2019
Web Address for Applications: https://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/modlang/graduate/phd/index.html
Page Updated: 05-Nov-2018