LINGUIST List 29.4862
Thu Dec 06 2018
Jobs: Arabic, Standard; English; Thai; Computational Linguistics; Morphology; Phonetics; Syntax: Computational Linguist, Appen
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Jasna Rustempasic <jrustempasic
Arabic, Standard; English; Thai; Computational Linguistics; Morphology; Phonetics; Syntax: Computational Linguist, Appen, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Appen
Department: Language Resources
Job Location: , USA
Web Address: http://appen.com
Job Title: Computational Linguists (Arabic/Thai/US English), SF or Seattle
Job Rank: Computational Linguist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Morphology; Phonetics; Syntax
Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb) English (eng) Thai (tha)
Appen is an award-winning organization. Our people help leading technology companies expand into new global markets. With capability in over 180 languages, Appen’s global network of specialists and in-country virtual teams work together to ensure new products and technologies operate in all the languages our clients need. Whether our clients need help for in-vehicle speech recognition technology, improving search engine performance or building translation software, Appen delivers.
We are proud to have been named in Forbes Magazine as one of the Top 100 Companies Offering Flexible Jobs in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Computational Linguist - Arabic, Thai, US English
Appen is seeking resumes of native level Arabic or Thai or US English speakers with computational linguistics background. The work will be part time, starting as soon as possible. The work would start as a remote, work-from home engagement but all candidates need to be able to work onsite in either San Francisco Bay Area (preferred) or Seattle once the project is underway.
The successful candidate will be engaged in general responsibilities:
- Collaboratively develop complex and consistent linguistic analyses
- Pilot new label sets to test their feasibility
- Determine quality standards for annotation
- Annotate language data with linguistic information
- Curate large amounts of annotated data by analyzing annotations, comparing annotations to guidelines, and building gold analyses
Additionally the successful candidate will take on at least one of the following roles:
- Ontology manager,
- Tools developer,
- Data quality engineer,
- Technical writer,
- Grammar developer,
- Dialog generator, and
- Assistant designer.
- Academic degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Language Technologies, or related field
- Interest and experience in various areas of linguistics, including pragmatics, semantics, syntax, morphology, phonology, phonetics, discourse analysis, sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, and field work
- Ability to formulate, articulate, and describe concepts and hypotheses that are broad enough to capture high-level concepts and specific enough to formalize as rules
- Strong language data analytical skills
- Collaborative and solution-oriented attitude
- Eagerness to learn new skills and adapt to a changing environment
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Enthusiasm for detail work and ability to focus for significant portions of the work day
- Experience with basic programming techniques
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically
- Advanced degree and/or industry experience
- Fluency in two or more natural languages
- Experience working with large ontologies and label sets
- Familiarity with version control, unit tests, and other programming best practices
- Familiarity with languages such as Python, PHP, Perl, and C++
To apply, please see the application link provided below.
We take pride in our diverse team and our flexible work opportunities, and as a publicly traded company our efforts and earned us the first place ranking in the FlexJobs Top 100 Companies index. Deloitte also recognized Appen with the 2017 Asia Pacific Technology Fast 500 and the Technology Fast 50 Australia awards.
We are an equal opportunity company and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Application Deadline: 31-Jan-2019 (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://talent-appen.icims.com/jobs/4180/job?mode=job&iis=LList_jasna
Senior Global Recruiter Jasna Rustempasic
Page Updated: 06-Dec-2018