LINGUIST List 30.2416
Tue Jun 11 2019
Editor for this issue: Everett Green <everettlinguistlist.org>
MANUEL PADILLA CRUZ <mpadillacruz
IX International Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: IX International Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics
Short Title: EPICS IX
Date: 06-May-2020 - 08-May-2020
Location: SEVILLE, Spain
Contact Person: MANUEL PADILLA CRUZ
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics
Call Deadline: 01-Dec-2019
EPICS IX is an International Conference dedicated to analysing and discussing possible (new) interactions between intercultural, cognitive and social approaches in pragmatics with a view to looking into communication in the 21st century. In line with this, the conference theme will be “Communication in the 21st Century: Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics”.
Call for Papers:
The research group “Intercultural Pragmatic Studies” announces the upcoming Ninth International Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics (EPICS IX), to be held on 6-8 May 2020, at the Faculty of Humanities of Pablo de Olavide University, Seville (Spain). The following scholars have agreed to be our keynote speakers:
- Patricia Bou Franch.
- Marina Terkourafi.
- Jef Verschueren.
1. Presentation Types
A) Individual Oral Presentations
20 minutes + 10 minutes for questions and discussion.
B) Themed Panels
A number of thematically-related papers, each of which must be 20 minutes + 10 minutes for questions and discussion. Proposals for panels should also include a chair.
Poster presenters must obey the following norms:
- Measurement: 118,9 x 84,1 cm (A0).
- Printed in colour or in black and white.
- Posters must be brought already printed to the conference (there will not be printing facilities at the conference venue).
Topics may be, but are not limited to, the following:
- New or recent interactions between different frameworks or approaches in pragmatics.
- Sociocultural and cognitive factors affecting production and comprehension of language/discourse in face-to-face or mediated (by telephone, computer, etc.) communication in a variety of genres (included social networks like Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and settings (classroom, parliaments, service encounters, etc.).
- Impact of culture and context on pragmatic processes in comprehension.
* New developments, interactions or challenges in pragmatic analyses of:
- Morphology, lexicon, syntax and/or prosody.
- Procedural meaning.
- Types of discourse (professional, academic, political, religious, humorous, etc.).
- (Im)Politeness and relational work in diverse settings and communication modes.
- Language aggression and conflict.
- Expression and processing of emotions.
- Projection and understanding of identity.
- Figures of speech (irony, metaphor, hyperbole, etc.).
- Interlanguage pragmatic development.
- Translation and interpreting.
- Online vs. offline communication and discourse.
- Experimental testing.
- Instructional pragmatics and methodological proposals for pragmatics teaching.
Proposals must be sent as email attachments to the following email addresses: epics
upo.es and mpadillacruz
Please make sure that your submission includes the following information:
A) Oral Presentations and Posters
- A Word/pdf file containing an anonymised one-page abstract no longer than 350 words (name this file “Abstract_Surname”).
* A Word/pdf file, named “Data_Surname”, containing the following information:
- Author’s/Authors’ name(s) and affiliation(s)
- Title of paper
- Topic(s) addressed (from among those in the list of topics)
- Up to five keywords
- Audio-visual equipment required (computer, video, etc.)
- E-mail address(es)
- Postal address(es)
- If the paper or poster cannot be presented on a particular day of the conference.
B) Themed Panels
In addition to the two files containing the abstract and the information alluded to above for each presentation, panel proposals must also include a one-page abstract no longer than 350 words for the whole panel.
Deadline for receipt of abstracts is 1 December 2019. Proposals will be peer-reviewed and notification of acceptance will be sent by 15 January 2020.
5. Conference Fees
Until January 30, 2020:
Speakers: EUR 180
Attendants: EUR 125
From January 30, onwards:
Speakers: EUR 210
Attendants: EUR 150
The fees are for the full conference and include the conference pack, coffee breaks and lunches, but not the conference dinner. Instructions to pay the registration fee will be given upon notification of acceptance.
Page Updated: 11-Jun-2019