LINGUIST List 30.3061
Thu Aug 08 2019
Support: Slavic; Bosnian; Croatian; Serbian; Slovenian; Morphology: PhD, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Boban Arsenijević <b.arsenijevic
Slavic; Bosnian; Croatian; Serbian; Slovenian; Morphology: PhD, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, Austria E-mail this message to a friend
Institution/Organization: Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz
Department: Institute for Slavic Studies
Web Address: https://slawistik.uni-graz.at/
Specialty Areas: Morphology
Required Language(s): Bosnian (bos)
The project Hyperspacing the Verb: The interplay between prosody, morphology
and semantics in the Western South Slavic verbal domain to be pursued at the
Institute for Slavic Studies of the University of Graz looking to employ a
Researcher on a project without doctorate (30 hours / week, to begin
preferably on 1 October 2019, until 30 September 2022).
The candidate will be employed within the project Hyperspacing the Verb: The
interplay between prosody, morphology and semantics in the Western South
Slavic verbal domain (PI: Boban Arsenijević), co-funded by the Austrian
Science Fund (to University of Graz) and Slovenian Research Agency (to
University of Nova Gorica) and aiming to map out and account for the
morphology of the verbal and deverbal domain in Slovenian and Serbo-Croatian.
The project description is available here.
Since engagement in the project should lead to writing and defending a
doctoral dissertation, the candidate is expected to enroll in the respective
doctoral program and fulfill its formal requirements.
In addition to the research, it is highly desirable that the candidate engage
in obtaining financial support for further research projects.
Specific project activities besides the completion of the PhD thesis:
The candidate will:
- Play a central role in creating the project databases, completing a detailed
theory-neutral description of the verbal systems of Serbo-Croatian and
Slovenian and finalising the publicly available online version of this
maintain the social-network profiles of the project.
- Interact with the media both in Austria and in Slovenian and Serbo-Croatian
- Actively participate in the preparation of conference presentations and
articles to be published as part of the output of the project.
- Diploma or Master degree in linguistics (preferably with a focus on Slavic
- Interest in the issues of grammar (phonology, morphology, syntax or
semantics), especially in terms of formal approaches;
- Very good knowledge of Serbo-Croatian and at least good knowledge of
- At least basic knowledge of German, or willingness to obtain it within a
- Interest in obtaining a doctoral title;
- General and specific computer skills;
- Social media skills;
- International work experience is an advantage.
- Good communication and team skills,
- Administrative and
- Management skills.
To apply please send the following to the appliation email provided below:
- Academic CV
- Copy of the diploma/MA degree
- Sample of written work (preferably published article)
- Motivation letter (800 words max) in which the candidate reflects upon how
they match the described profile
- Brief description (2000 words max) of a PhD project that the candidate aims
to complete within the project (including the central research questions,
methodology and timeline). The candidates are advised to first read the
project description available here
- 2 recommendation letters sent directly by the referees.
The job location is at the Institute for Slavic studies in Graz. The position
comes with a salary of 2,162.40 EUR gross per month.
Email Address for Applications: b.arsenijevic
Page Updated: 08-Aug-2019