LINGUIST List 30.3188
Wed Aug 21 2019
Support: Sami; Language Acquisition: PhD, University of Konstanz
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Tanja Kupisch <tanja.kupisch
Sami; Language Acquisition: PhD, University of Konstanz, Germany E-mail this message to a friend
Institution/Organization: University of Konstanz
Web Address: https://www.ling.uni-konstanz.de/en/
Duties: Research,Project Work
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition
Required Language(s): Sami, Kemi (sjk)
Researcher/ Doctoral student (65%)
Applications are invited for 3- year 65% (doctoral) research positions in the
Cluster of Excellence ''The Politics of Inequality”
) as part of the Project
“Ethnic Policies- the Sámiin Norway and Sweden” in collaboration with
Prof. Dr. Tanja Kupisch (Linguistics) and Prof. Dr. Katharina Holzinger
(Political Science). The position is available for three years. The position
is open until filled.
- Development of tasks to measure bilingual proficiency (subjectively and
- Collaboration on survey together with team members in political science,
- Data collection in Sweden and Norway,
- Data analysis,
- Presentation and publication of results.
- M.A. degree (or equivalent) in linguistics,
- proficiency in North Sami, Norwegian or Swedish and very good command of
- experience in working with indigenous populations,
- solid knowledge of syntax, morphology and/or phonology,
- special personal skills (ability and interest to work in interdisciplinary
teams, flexibility, patience and assertiveness.
- Membership in the excellence cluster „The Politics of Inequality“ and
participation at collaborative events,
- Support during a PhD in the PhD program of the department of Linguistics,
- Collaboration in a project together with the department of Political
- An interdisciplinary team at the aforementioned departments at the
University of Konstanz.
The University of Konstanz is one of Germany's Universities of Excellence: It
was successful in all three funding lines of the German Excellence Initiative
and has also been competing successfully in both funding lines of its
successor programme, the Excellence Strategy, since 2018.
The Linguistics department at the University of Konstanz offers a lively and
internationally well- connected research environment where students are
immediately integrated in scholarly life and research at all levels. The
department offers PhD students the opportunity to discuss their topics with
fellow students who work on similar issues; we also have funding for PhD
students to attend international workshops and conferences.
Applications should be sent by email as (a single) PDF to Tanja Kupisch at the
application email addresses below and include the following:
- Short cover letter,
- Full CV,
- Brief description of personal skills that you will put into practice in the
project (250 words),
- Two names of possible referents,
- BA- and MA- certificates.
Please write “Doctoral Position Ethnic Policies” as subject of your email.
The University of Konstanz encourages disabled persons to apply. They will be
given preference if appropriately qualified (contact + 49 (0) 7531 / 88 -
4016 and 88 - 2834).
The University of Konstanz is an equal opportunity employer that tries to
increase the number of women in research and teaching.
Application Deadline: 21-Jan-2020
Mailing Address for Applications:
Attn: Tanja Kupisch
University of Konstanz, Department of Linguistics, Postfach 189
Email Address for Applications: tanja.kupisch
Page Updated: 21-Aug-2019