LINGUIST List 30.374
Wed Jan 23 2019
Jobs: English; Computational Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax: Researcher, Intelligent Machines Lab
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Viiu Wichman <viiu
English; Computational Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax: Researcher, Intelligent Machines Lab, Waltham, Massachusetts, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Intelligent Machines Lab
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Job Title: Computational Linguist
Job Rank: Researcher
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax; Natural Language Processing
Required Language(s): English (eng)
IML will pioneer the next generation of linguistics based deep learning technologies [LDL]. Its end goal is to enable the creation of higher order intelligence in machines for complete business functions. IML will focus on newer approaches to natural language understanding. Initial use cases for IML's LDL will be a new approach for learning. We envision rolling out a new paradigm for learning and comprehension of knowledge that is real time, contextual, associative and can support different learning models. This will be a social enterprise. Beyond this, LDL will be licensed for several other use cases.
Some of the immediate work in these LDL frameworks will be Contextual Co-reference Resolution, Meaning disambiguation and inference, Semantic Summarization, real-world & practical Knowledge Bases, etc. The ideal candidate will perform a few or all of the following, independently or as a part of a broader team:
- Under expert guidance, develop linguistics based components to advance solutions for unsolved areas in computational understanding of natural language.
- Work with functional analysts to derive the best knowledge representation to solve the business problem in use cases
- Test the implemented solution with corresponding domain knowledge (rules) on test as well as real data, along with the functional teams
- Prepare, tune and set-up the implementation for production environments, while documenting relevant points of checks and alerts, with instructions on how to identify issues and how to react to them
- Hand-over the production setup to Production Support
Professional Experience: Familiar with all the steps of SDLC a plus
Education (Must Have):
- Bachelors or Masters (preferred) from a reputed institute
- Degree in Computational Linguistics, with courses in Natural Language Processing and Information Retrieval
Knowledge and Skills: More the better
- Familiarity with knowledge representation methods, like taxonomies, ontologies, etc., along with others that represent concepts, actions, events, situations, frames, etc.
- Information Retrieval Concepts – Tokenization and token analysis, Topic Modeling, Document-field Scoring, etc.
- Natural Language Processing Concepts –NER, POS Tagging, Formal Grammars, Syntactic and Dependency Parsing, etc.
- Computational Linguistics – Morphology, Semantics, Syntax, Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics, Grammatical Categories (Aspect, Case, etc.), RST, etc.
- Problems – Coreference Resolution, Classification and Categorization, Text and Document Clustering, Summarization, Relationship Extraction, etc.
- Propositional logic, automation theory and other concepts of Theory of Computation and Formal Methods in CS.
- Good communication and documentations skills with the ability to convey complex technical concepts to non-technical professionals.
Technical Competencies: Desirable
- Linux environments and basic shell scripting
- Data Structures and Algorithms, including trees, graphs and other hierarchical data-structures
- Strong familiarity with one or more of Stanford NLP libraries, OpenNLP, GATE, NLTK, LingPipe, etc.
- Advanced Regular Expressions and Automata, etc.
- Ability to adapt or use to new, open-source libraries
Good to have:
- Knowledge of Machine Learning Algorithms and libraries
To apply, please sent your resume and a cover letter to the application email provided below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
400 Totten Pond Road
Waltham, MA 02451
Email Address for Applications: viiu
Page Updated: 23-Jan-2019