LINGUIST List 30.4219
Wed Nov 06 2019
Jobs: Language Acquisition: Assistant Professor, University of Hawaii at Manoa
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Language Acquisition: Assistant Professor, University of Hawaii at Manoa, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Hawaii at Manoa
Department: LLL/Second Language Studies
Job Location: Hawaii, USA
Web Address: http://www.hawaii.edu/sls/
Job Title: Asst Prof (SL Acquisition & Multicultural Learning & Development (pos. #84186))
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition
Title: Assistant Professor, with specialization in second language acquisition and multilingual learning and development
Position number: 84186
Hiring Unit: Second Language Studies/ College of Languages, Linguistics and Literature
Location: University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Date Posted: 11/5/2019
Closing Date: Continuous - application review begins 12/6/2019
Salary Information: Commensurate with qualifications & experience
Monthly Type: 9 Month
Tenure track: Tenure
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Other Conditions: To begin Fall 2020. Contingent upon position clearance and availability of funding.
The Department of Second Language Studies offers a BA, an MA and a PhD in Second Language Studies as well as an Advanced Graduate Certificate. The University of Hawai‘i is a Carnegie "very high research activity university" with a strong orientation to the Asia-Pacific region. The University supports interdisciplinary initiatives within and across departments and colleges, and places a high value on extramural funding. It also values research that addresses locally-relevant issues and local populations in Hawai‘i.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels
focused on the area of second language acquisition and
multilingual learning and development.
- Teach in other areas of the Department's curriculum as
- Mentor undergraduate and graduate students.
- Engage in research in second language acquisition and
multilingual learning and development in social settings.
- Undertake service to the Department, College and the
- PhD or equivalent degree in second language studies, applied linguistics, or a closely related field from a college or university of recognized standing; applicants must be at least ABD at time of application, and evidence must be provided that all requirements for the degree will be completed by August 2020.
- Demonstrated ability to carry out research in the applicant's major area of specialization, as evidenced by publications.
- Demonstrated success in teaching.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collegially.
- Demonstrated expertise in corpus linguistics, and/or language learning and development across the lifespan in multilingual populations such as (but not limited to) immigrants and heritage language learners, beyond traditional classrooms, including naturalistic settings.
Follow the application link provided below and click on the "Apply" button on the top right corner of the screen to complete an application and attach the following REQUIRED documents:
- A single pdf document that includes a cover letter summarizing research and teaching interests and experience, names and contact information of three referees, a CV, a research statement, and a statement of teaching philosophy;
- No more than three sample publications;
- Copies of graduate course transcripts (however official transcripts required upon hire).
Dr. Graham V. Crookes, Chair, Search Committee; 808-956-6046; slschair
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: slschair
Web Address for Applications: https://tinyurl.com/y5nopgm2
Chair Graham Crookes
Page Updated: 06-Nov-2019