LINGUIST List 30.4567
Mon Dec 02 2019
Editor for this issue: Everett Green <everettlinguistlist.org>
MANUEL PADILLA CRUZ <mpadillacruz
IX International Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: IX International Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics
Short Title: EPICS IX
Date: 06-May-2020 - 08-May-2020
Location: Seville, Spain
Contact Person: Manuel Padilla Cruz
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics
Call Deadline: 15-Dec-2019
EPICS IX is an International Conference dedicated to analysing and discussing possible (new) interactions between intercultural, cognitive and social approaches in pragmatics with a view to looking into communication in the 21st century. In line with this, the conference theme will be “Communication in the 21st Century: Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics”.
Final Call for Papers:
Ninth International Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics (EPICS IX).
VENUE: Faculty of Humanities of Pablo de Olavide University, Seville.
THEME: “Communication in the 21st Century: Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics”.
- Patricia Bou Franch.
- Marina Terkourafi.
- Jef Verschueren.
There will be a panel dedicated to relevance theory and honouring Prof. Deirdre Wilson, who has accepted to be a guest speaker at it.
1. PRESENTATION TYPES
Papers must be in English (see below for topics):
A) Individual Oral Presentations
20'+10' for Qs&D.
B) Themed Panels
A number of thematically-related papers (20'+10' for Qs&D). Proposals for panels should also include a chair.
- No larger than 118,9 x 84,1 cm (A0).
- Printed in colour or in black and white.
- Poster presenters must bring a printed copy of their poster with them to the conference. There will not be printing facilities at the conference venue. Presenters will also be responsible for displaying the poster and removing it at the time and in the place designated by the conference organisers.
Topics for presentations may be, but are not limited to:
- New or recent interactions between different frameworks or approaches in pragmatics.
- Sociocultural and cognitive factors affecting production and comprehension of language/discourse in face-to-face or mediated communication in a variety of genres and settings.
- Impact of culture and context on pragmatic processes in comprehension.
- New developments, interactions or challenges in pragmatic analyses of:
* Morphology, lexicon, syntax and/or prosody.
* Procedural meaning.
* Types of discourse.
* (Im)Politeness and relational work in diverse settings and communication modes.
* Language aggression and conflict.
* Expression and processing of emotions.
* Projection and understanding of identity.
* Figures of speech.
* Interlanguage pragmatic development.
* Translation and interpreting.
* Online vs. offline communication and discourse.
- Experimental testing.
- Instructional pragmatics and methodological proposals for pragmatics teaching.
Send your proposal(s) as email attachment to the following addresses: epics
upo.es and mpadillacruz
Submissions must include the following information:
A) Oral Presentations and Posters
* A Word/pdf file containing an anonymised one-page abstract no longer than 350 words (references included). Please name this file “Abstract_Surname”.
* A Word/pdf file, named “Data_Surname”, containing the following information:
- Author’s/Authors’ name(s) and affiliation(s)
- Title of paper
- Topic(s) addressed (from among those in the list of topics above)
- Up to five keywords
- Audio-visual equipment required (computer, video, etc.)
- E-mail address(es)
- Postal address(es)
- If the paper or poster cannot be presented on a particular day of the conference.
B) Themed Panels
In addition to the two files containing the abstract and the information alluded to above for each presentation, panel proposals must also include a one-page abstract no longer than 350 words (references included) for the whole panel. Name this file “Panel_Surname”.
The deadline for abstract submission has been extended to 15th December 2019. Proposals will be peer-reviewed and notification of acceptance will be sent by 15th January 2020.
Information about the conference fees is available on http://eventos.upo.es/event_detail/37759/detail/9th-international-symposium-on-intercultural-cognitive-and-social-pragmatics-epics-ix.html
Page Updated: 02-Dec-2019