LINGUIST List 30.4598
Wed Dec 04 2019
Support: Ling & Literature; Translation: PhD, Swansea University
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Federico Lopez-Terra <federico.lopez-terra
Ling & Literature; Translation: PhD, Swansea University, UK E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Modern Languages, Translation and Interpreting
Web Address: https://www.swansea.ac.uk/languages/
Institution/Organization: Swansea University
Specialty Areas: Ling & Literature; Translation
The Departments of Modern Languages, Translation and Interpreting and Welsh at Swansea University announce multiple research strands to which they wish to recruit doctoral students of the very highest calibre.
Successful candidates will work with an experienced, forward-thinking supervisory team to contribute to the future direction of two collaborating departments which are sites of internationally-recognised, multi-disciplinary research embedded into the College’s research centres (CCGC, CEPSAM, CoDAH, GENCAS, STING, LRC, CREW, RBC).
Supervision is offered in English, Welsh, Arabic, French, German, Italian, Mandarin, Portuguese and Spanish.
1. Cultural and literary/film/theatre studies (Welsh, Arabic, European Languages)
- National/Transnational Identities
- Representations of conflict, memory and travel in contemporary French, German and Hispanic cultures
- Comparative Literature (poetry, narrative and theatre)
- Gender studies
- Biography, letters, memoirs, travel writing
- Creative Writing (Welsh)
2. Applied Linguistics, Sociolinguistics, Language Planning (Welsh, European Languages)
- Comparative Stylistics
- Language Teaching, Bilingualism / Multilingualism
- Language Acquisition
- Arabic linguistics and analysis of Islamic texts discourse markers, particularly the Qur'an
3. Eco-criticism, Settler colonial theory.
- Science Fiction and Ecology/Environmentalism
- Eco-criticism, digital ecology
- Settler colonial theory
4. Translation and Interpreting
- Literary Translation
- Comparative and contrastive translingual corpora
- CAT tools and AVT technologies
Supervisory teams for project strands:
- Prof. Tudur Hallam; Prof. Gwynedd Parry; Prof. Julian Preece; Prof. Tom Cheesman; Dr Kathryn Jones; Dr Lloyd Davies; Dr Joanna Rydzewska; Dr Salwa El-Awa; Dr Hannah Sams; Dr Federico Lopez-Terra; Dr Catherine Rodgers.
- Dr Steve Morris; Dr Salwa El-Awa; Dr Gwennan Higham; Dr Rocio Perez-Tattam, Dr Giovanna Donzelli.
- Dr Lloyd Davies; Dr Kathryn Jones; Prof. Tom Cheesman; Dr Geraldine Lublin; Dr Federico Lopez-Terra.
- Prof. Tom Cheesman; Prof. Andrew Rothwell, Dr Maria Fernández-Parra, Dr Sabrina Wang.
Swansea University Research Excellence Scholarships (SURES) https://www.swansea.ac.uk/postgraduate/scholarships/research/swansea-university-research-excellence-scholarships-phd-2020.php
Swansea University is pleased to offer, as part of its centenary celebrations, up to fourteen fully-funded Research Excellence Scholarships for full-time doctoral study, commencing in October 2020.
Each scholarship includes tuition fees at the home/EU rate, a stipend, reviewed annually, at the UKRI standard rate, and an annual training allowance to support immersive training experiences such as engagement with industry, international collaborative opportunities and cohort building. Each scholarship is offered for a maximum period of three years, with submission of the thesis expected within that timescale.
The award of a Swansea University Research Excellence Scholarship is conditional upon applicants holding or achieving a first class honours degree and/or a distinction at Masters’ level.
Web Address for Applications: https://www.swansea.ac.uk/postgraduate/scholarships/research/swansea-university-research-excellence-scholarships-phd-2020.php
Dr Federico Lopez-Terra
Page Updated: 04-Dec-2019