LINGUIST List 30.4612
Thu Dec 05 2019
Support: English; French; German; Italian; Spanish; General Linguistics: PhD, University of Basel
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Philipp Dankel <philipp.dankel
English; French; German; Italian; Spanish; General Linguistics: PhD, University of Basel, Switzerland E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Hermann Paul School of Linguistics Basel-Freiburg
Web Address: http://hpsl-linguistics.org/
Institution/Organization: University of Basel
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng) French (fra) German (deu) Italian (ita) Spanish (spa)
The Hermann Paul School of Linguistics (Basel - Freiburg) is offering one scholarship for a PhD candidate at Basel University, starting between August 1st and September 1st 2020.
The graduate programme is internationally recognized and presents inter‐university collaboration. As a PhD candidate, you will be part of a lively and active research community located in the upper Rhine region. Funding rates for the scholarships at the University of Basel are in line with regulations of the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF).
Scholarships are granted for one year and may be subject to an extension of up to two years with successful project development. The PhD can be done in the following subjects: English Linguistics, French Linguistics, General Linguistics, German Linguistics, Ibero-Romance Linguistics, Italian Linguistics. The prerequisite for your application is a good to excellent degree (MA or equivalent; minimum MA mark: a 5 out of 6 in the Swiss system) in the field of language sciences. As part of an international community your PhD project should constructively add to the research environment. Scholarships are awarded based on the quality of your outline: applications without an outline will not be considered. Please inform yourself about the research areas at the HPSL beforehand and get in touch with your preferred first supervisor as soon as possible (the list of supervisors is available at http://www.hpsl-linguistics.org/faculty
Please note that PhD scholarships at the University of Basel must be supervised by a first supervisor affiliated with the respective university which grants the scholarship (Basel).
Please submit your application electronically. It should include:
- A letter of motivation
- An informative outline of your research interests and PhD project
- Your curriculum vitae
- Copies of educational certificates (please note: in Basel the requirement for entering the PhD program is a ''good'' or ''excellent'' degree)
- A writing sample (seminar paper or master thesis in linguistics)
- One written reference by a professor, a junior professor or another member of university staff with the right to supervise a PhD, and the name and contact information of one other professor willing to comment on your expertise and potential in linguistics. A hard copy of the reference needs to be sent to us by the referee (Address: Dr. Philipp Dankel, HPSL Basel, c/o Englisches Seminar, Nadelberg 6, CH-4051 Basel)
- If available: confirmations of internships, language proficiency and conference participation
The closing date for applications is March 1st 2020. The selection process will take place in April and acceptances and refusals will be sent out by the end of May.
Applications Deadline: 01-May-2020
Mailing Address for Applications:
Attn: Dr. Philipp Dankel
Hermann Paul School of Linguistics Basel-Freiburg
c/o Englisches Seminar, Nadelberg 6
Web Address for Applications: http://www.hpsl-linguistics.org/hpsl-scholarships2020
Dr. Philipp Dankel
Page Updated: 05-Dec-2019