LINGUIST List 31.1084
Thu Mar 19 2020
Jobs: Cog Sci; Comp Ling; Neuroling; Phonetics; Psycholing: Post Doc, Villanova University
Editor for this issue: Everett Green <everettlinguistlist.org>
Joseph Toscano <joseph.toscano
Cog Sci; Comp Ling; Neuroling; Phonetics; Psycholing: Post Doc, Villanova University, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Villanova University
Department: Dept of Psychological and Brain Sciences
Job Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Job Title: Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Job Rank: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Neurolinguistics; Phonetics; Psycholinguistics
The Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences and Dr. Joseph Toscano invite applications for a postdoctoral research position in spoken language processing. The postdoctoral fellow will be involved with research investigating the interaction between speech perception and higher-level language, using neural network models and event-related brain potential (ERP) experiments to study how these processes unfold over time and how they are influenced by context. Opportunities for training and supervising students involved with the research will also be provided.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University’s mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University’s mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will carry out research on speech perception and spoken language processing, including experiments using the event-related potential technique and computational modeling work. The candidate will also assist in training and supervising undergraduate and graduate students involved with the research.
PhD in Psychology, Linguistics, Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, Speech and Hearing Science, or a related field is required.
- A background in speech perception, phonetics, hearing, and/or psycholinguistics is strongly preferred. Experience with computational modeling, cognitive neuroscience techniques (particularly the event-related potential technique), and/or acoustic analysis is also preferred.
- Candidates should have doctoral-level research experience in at least one of the areas mentioned above.
- Candidates should demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills, as evidenced by journal articles and conference presentations, as well as the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Familiarity with Brain Products EEG equipment is desired, and familiarity with MATLAB, Python, and/or R is preferred.
Application package must include the following:
(1) a cover letter (including a statement of career goals),
(2) a curriculum vitae,
(3) a brief research statement that summarizes the applicant’s current work and future plans (maximum 2 pages),
(4) contact information for 3 references who will be contacted via email to submit confidential letters of recommendation when the application is submitted, and
(5) an unofficial transcript of all graduate work. Official transcripts will only be required from finalists.
Submit application materials at the link below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/18594
Dr. Joseph Toscano
Page Updated: 19-Mar-2020