LINGUIST List 31.1124
Tue Mar 24 2020
Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Scientist, Amazon
Editor for this issue: Everett Green <everettlinguistlist.org>
Laura Dickey <lwd
Computational Linguistics: Scientist, Amazon, Pittsburgh, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Amazon
Department: Machine Translation
Job Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Job Title: Machine Translation Scientist
Job Rank: Scientist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Machine Translation
Amazon is looking for passionate Applied Scientists and Computational Linguists with expertise in Machine Translation to help us expand our MT and NLP technology.
Our mission is to enable a superior experience for all of Amazon’s customers in their native language by developing and deploying state-of-the art technology and applications in Machine Translation (MT), Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning (ML). The global scale of Amazon means true big data problems, big data opportunities, and building for global customers. Machine Translation allows Amazon to reach people in their preferred language, whether that’s searching for a product to buy, looking for customer service, talking to Alexa, or using their Kindle. We are a team tackling the tough language problems that general-purpose MT cannot solve.
As part of our MT research & development team, you will work on developing, deploying, maintaining and supporting our fleet of Machine Translation systems that serve our various Amazon teams and clients. You will drive experimentation to develop new solutions in the MT space. Your work will directly impact millions of our customers in the form of products and services that make use of our MT and NLP technology. You will gain hands-on experience with Amazon’s heterogeneous language data sources and large-scale computing resources to accelerate advances in MT and NLP.
- Set the scientific agenda for MT improvements and novel evaluation techniques
- Train and evaluate neural MT models using Amazon's proprietary MT technology
- Analyze the accuracy and performance of MT models
- Assist in deploying, maintaining, and supporting Amazon's fleet of dedicated MT systems in production
- Design and implement software to collect, analyze and prepare large natural language data sets
- PhD in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Language Technologies, Linguistics, or MS plus 2+ years experience
- Expertise in Machine Translation
- Software development skills in Python, Java, C++ or equivalent programming language
- Exceptional analytical, troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Good written and spoken communication skills
- Experience using tools and systems for standard MT and NLP tasks, such as language modeling, named entity recognition, syntactic parsing, etc.
- Experience in development of large-scale NLP systems in a large industrial or government environment
- Formal or informal knowledge of linguistics and/or foreign languages
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/1087467/machine-translation-scientist
Page Updated: 24-Mar-2020