LINGUIST List 31.1219
Wed Apr 01 2020
Jobs: Spanish; Applied Linguistics: Instructor, Arizona State University
Editor for this issue: Everett Green <everettlinguistlist.org>
Spanish; Applied Linguistics: Instructor, Arizona State University, Tempe, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Arizona State University
Department: School of International Letters and Cultures
Job Location: Arizona, USA
Web Address: https://silc.asu.edu/
Job Title: Instructor in Spanish
Job Rank: Instructor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)
The School of International Letters and Cultures (SILC) at Arizona State University seeks applications for two Instructors in the area of Spanish. The successful candidates will be expected to teach lower-division courses in Spanish curriculum, online and/or in-person (hybrid), hold office hours and work closely with the program coordinator to prepare lectures, class materials, and class assignments. Depending on area of expertise and need, the candidate may teach Upper-Division/heritage language/content courses. Must stay up to date with relevant professional development. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible appointment made on an academic year basis (Aug.16 – May 15). A typical full-time course load is four classes per academic semester (for 4-credit hour classes). Subsequent annual renewal is possible contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of resources, the needs of the university, and sufficient enrollment in assigned courses. Anticipated start date is August 2020.
- MA in Spanish, applied linguistics, linguistics, or related field, by time of appointment.
- Three years’ experience in higher education teaching Spanish language courses, and evidence of effective teaching.
- Native/near-native proficiency in both Spanish and English.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion among diverse student populations.
- PhD in Spanish or related field by time of appointment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in online teaching and/or appropriate technologies in language instruction.
- Familiarity with ACTFL proficiency standards and proficiency-based approaches to teaching Spanish.
- Experience with outreach to diverse communities.
- Experience with online platforms used for language instruction and Learning Management System(s).
- Training in heritage language teaching.
- Ability to teach Upper-Division coursework within our current curriculum. For related information, please see: https://silc.asu.edu/degrees/spanish
To guarantee full consideration, applicants must apply electronically at the application link below (bottom of page) by submitting a complete dossier which consists of the following:
1. Cover letter outlining teaching philosophy, and how the applicant's experiences fit the qualifications listed above.
2. Curriculum Vitae.
3. Evidence of teaching effectiveness (quantitative and sample of qualitative data from teaching evaluations).
4. A statement addressing how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
5. Contact information for 3 references.
Applicants last name should appear in each uploaded file name. Cover letter can be addressed to Dr. Anne Walton-Ramirez, Search Committee Chair. Questions about the position should be directed to the search committee chair at: annewr
asu.edu. Initial application deadline is May 4, 2020, 5:00PM Eastern Standard Time; if not filled, applications will be reviewed every week thereafter until search is closed.
A background check is required for employment. Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Application Deadline: 04-May-2020
Web Address for Applications: http://apply.interfolio.com/75248
Search Committee Chair Anne Walton-Ramirez
Page Updated: 01-Apr-2020