LINGUIST List 31.1257
Fri Apr 03 2020
Calls: Gen Ling, Ling Theories, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling, Typology/Austria
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Alexandra N. Lenz <alexandra.lenz
11th International Conference on Language Variation in Europe
E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: 11th International Conference on Language Variation in Europe
Short Title: ICLaVE 11
Date: 07-Jul-2021 - 09-Jul-2021
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact Person: Alexandra N. Lenz
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://iclave11.dioe.at
Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Linguistic Theories; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Typology
Call Deadline: 01-Aug-2020
The International Conference on Language
Variation in Europe, ICLaVE, is one of the most important fora for research in the area of language variation in Europe. It aims at bringing together scholars of languages and language varieties spoken in Europe with the purpose of
discussing empirical, methodological and theoretical issues in the study of language variation and change on the continent.
ICLaVE|11 (Vienna) solicits submissions for panels, papers, posters, and multimedia presentations (a new
format) in any and all areas of study related to language variation in European languages, such as sociolinguistics, dialectology, historical linguistics, psycholinguistics, phonetics, etc.
Carlota de Benito
Moreno (University of Zurich)
Annette D'Onofrio (Northwestern University, Illinois)
Stephan Elspaß (University of Salzburg)
Stefan Michael Newerkla (University of Vienna)
Roadmap (first steps):
1 May 2020: Start
1 Jun 2020: Start Paper, Poster, Multimedia Submission
1 Aug 2020: Deadline Panel Submission
1O Oct 2020: Notification of Acceptance Panel
1 Nov 2020: Deadline Paper, Poster, Multimedia Submission
2021: Registration opens
Call for Panels:
Our first Call for Contributions concerns the submission of Panels, with all
subsequent calls to follow in due course. Panel proposals must be written in English and should be submitted electronically by the panel organizer(s). Submission opens on May 1, 2020; the deadline for submission is August 1, 2020.
Panels at ICLaVE|11 will have a duration of 3.5 hours, which amounts to 7 slots total (=including introduction and/or discussion session). One slot is 30 minutes (=20min presentation +10min discussion), in order to allow conference
participants to switch between sessions.
Panel proposals should include:
- A general overview text of no more than 500 words, including the topic and how it relates to the conference theme, key questions, the rationale for the
panel, and its aims and objectives
- Some information on paper ordering, featuring a list of contributors (name, affiliation, email address) and any discussant/s
- Full abstracts of the contributions, including information on the
subject, methodology and theoretical framework(s) (max. 400 words per abstract, excluding title and references).
Panel organizers should:
- Coordinate the submission of individual abstracts by contributors before the deadline
(max. 400 words each, excluding title and references)
- Submit the proposal by August 1, 2020 and confirm that all invited contributors have agreed to participate
- Communicate the decision of acceptance/rejection of the panel to
- Act as mediators between the contributors and the Conference Organizing Committee
- Submit an updated version of the abstracts and panel description by March 1, 2021.
- Collect papers, presentations and/or
data samples for the panel in advance of the conference, and circulate these among all panel contributors
- Chair their panel at the conference
Panel proposals will be reviewed by the organizing committee. Notifications of
acceptance will be sent out October 1, 2020.
Authors may submit two abstracts in total to the conference, if at least one paper is co-authored. (No two submissions by the same author in the same panel.)
For submission of
individual papers and poster proposals, see our ensuing Call for Papers (planned to open in June 2020).
We look forward to your submissions, and to welcoming you to Vienna in July 2021!
Page Updated: 03-Apr-2020