LINGUIST List 31.1343
Tue Apr 14 2020
Jobs: Computational Linguistics, General Linguistics: Manager, Amazon
Editor for this issue: Everett Green <everettlinguistlist.org>
Sara Levitsky <levitsky
Computational Linguistics, General Linguistics: Manager, Amazon, Boston/Cambridge Area, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Amazon
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Job Title: Manager, Language Engineer
Job Rank: Manager
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics
The Amazon Alexa team in Boston is looking for a Manager to join our Natural Language Processing (NLP) team. We are seeking a candidate with strong analytical skills and language technology experience to help us develop language components for the international Alexa experience. You are a talented leader with proven ability to drive projects and influence people in a distributed environment. You have recent experience as a technical team lead, or as a project or product manager in a tech company.
As a Manager of the NLP team, you will be driving a cross-disciplinary team built out of subject matter experts supported with engineers and scientists. The ideal candidate is passionate about new opportunities and has a demonstrable track record of success in delivering new features and products. A commitment to team work, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements. Creating reliable, scalable, and high performance products requires exceptional technical expertise, and a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science. This person has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast.
- Lead the day-to-day activities of your distributed team within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments. Report on status, milestones and goals to stakeholders.
- Prioritize improvements to drive your metrics up, and lead innovation to deliver the biggest wins for our customers.
- Interface with country and regional stakeholders
- Hire the strongest candidates to grow the team effectively. Continuously develop all your direct reports, assigning work and giving feedback to help them reach their potential.
- BS/MS in Computer Science/Computational Linguistics or related technical discipline
- 5+ years of industry experience
- 2+ years of experience in people management (development/research/linguist teams)
- Programming in Python/Perl, C, C++, Java and in Linux environments
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and opinions
- Knowledge of best practices for software construction, planning, operations, and management
- Machine Learning
- Personal interest in language or speech technologies
- Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
- Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and best practices
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
- Experience in developing low-level solutions and understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
- Experience with language annotation and other forms of data markup
- Experience working with speech and text language data in one extra major language
- Expertise in building ontologies, taxonomies, and semantic relation frameworks
- Experience in writing grammars and building FSTs, Experience with statistical language modeling
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: levitsky
Web Address for Applications: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/964542/manager-alexa-nlp
Technical Recruiter Sara Levitsky
Page Updated: 14-Apr-2020