LINGUIST List 31.1577
Tue May 12 2020
Jobs: Comp Ling; Neuroling; Psycholing: Lab Director, UiT The Arctic University of Norway
Editor for this issue: Everett Green <everettlinguistlist.org>
Marit Westergaard <marit.westergaard
Comp Ling; Neuroling; Psycholing: Lab Director, UiT The Arctic University of Norway, Tromsø, Norway E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: UiT The Arctic University of Norway
Department: Department of Language and Culture
Job Location: Tromsø, Norway
Web Address: https://uit.no/research/acqva
Job Title: Lab Director
Job Rank: Lab Director
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Neurolinguistics; Psycholinguistics; Online/offline experimental methods, statistical modeling, programming
One permanent position as Lab Director at the level of Associate Professor is available in the Department of Language and Culture at UiT - The Arctic University of Norway. The position is affiliated with the AcqVA Aurora Centre (Language Acquisition, Variation & Attrition): The Dynamic Nature of Languages in the Mind.
The position as Lab Director entails a leadership function/responsibility for the AcqVA Aurora labs (50%), teaching lab-related seminars for students and researchers (20%), and time for independent research (30%).
The AcqVA Aurora Centre currently consists of more than 30 active researchers, including seven professors/associate professors, a lab manager, 12 researchers/postdoctoral fellows (including five MSCA postdoctoral researchers), four PhD students, and eight Professor II positions (20% adjunct professors). The group members are involved in a number of research projects both locally and internationally. The AcqVA Aurora Centre currently has two labs, the AcqVA lab and the PoLaR lab.
Work and Responsibility:
The Lab Director is the leader of the AcqVA Aurora Centre labs with responsibility for equipment, experimental design, statistical assistance, teaching and research. More specifically, the Lab Director:
- will be responsible for the acquisition, maintenance, and use of the equipment in the labs
- will be responsible for hiring lab assistants and training them
- will assist members of the AcqVA Aurora Centre with experimental design and statistical analysis
- will provide courses in relevant topics for students and other members of the AcqVA Aurora Centre
- will provide information on ethical approval, storage of data and other relevant information for researchers in AcqVA Aurora.
The Lab Director is expected to carry out research within the research areas of the AcqVA Aurora group, and is further expected to collaborate (and co-author) with the researchers within the group on ongoing and future projects.
- Norwegian doctoral degree in (Psycho-/Neuro-/Computational) Linguistics, Computer Science, Psychology or another relevant field or a corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognised as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree, or competence at a corresponding level documented by academic work of the same scope and quality
- Demonstrable experience with a broad range of empirical methods such as offline behavioral and online (processing) experimentation
- High command/competence of statistical modelling and programming capabilities.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English
- Experience with previous research within language acquisition, attrition, heritage languages and/or multilingualism is desirable
- Experience working with bi-/multilingual young and adult populations is desirable
- Knowledge of Norwegian or another Scandinavian language is desirable
- Documented pedagogical competence
The application must be submitted electronically via http://www.jobbnorge.no
and shall include:
- Letter of application
- Contextualizing statement/proposal (max 2 pages), detailing how the candidate will fit into the research done in AcqVA Aurora
- CV (containing a complete overview of education, supervised professional training and professional work)
- Diplomas and references (scanned copies of degree and a list of three references who can be contacted, inclusive of contact information)
- Contact information to 2-3 references
- Documented pedagogical competence
- A list of your academic production
- Description of your academic production
- Academic works, up to ten
Application Deadline: 15-Jun-2020
Web Address for Applications: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/186449/lab-director-associate-professor-affiliated-with-the-acqva-centre-language-acquisition-variation-attrition?fbclid=IwAR3DYKI7HChCEJzrI3A4zlOzUsww8urLgaeq-2wx8wtFKMNtOhbcsk-_xPc
Professor Marit Westergaard
Page Updated: 12-May-2020