LINGUIST List 31.1630
Fri May 15 2020
Jobs: English; Japanese; Applied Linguistics: Freelancer, Duolingo
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Bozena Pajak <bozena
English; Japanese; Applied Linguistics: Freelancer, Duolingo E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Duolingo
Job Location: , ---------------- (Telecommute)
Web Address: https://www.duolingo.com/
Job Title: Expert in teaching English to speakers of Japanese (freelance)
Job Rank: Freelancer; Other
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; ESL; EFL
Required Language(s): English (eng) Japanese (jpn)
Duolingo is looking for an ESL/EFL expert who has native or near-native proficiency in English and strong working proficiency in Japanese, who has experience teaching English to Japanese speakers, and who has experience developing language learning curricula. This is a temporary freelance position (no benefits included). All work will be conducted remotely and hours are flexible.
- Use your pedagogical expertise to develop creative course content for an online English course that is aligned with the standards of the CEFR and designed for Japanese-speaking English learners.
- Develop a scope and sequence for the course and write content for beginning English language learners in cooperation with members of Duolingo’s learning sciences team.
- Exercise creativity and humor to ensure that course material is fun and engaging.
- Help define project details, set timeframes, and coordinate project activities.
- Native or near-native proficiency in English
- MA in TESOL/related field or TESOL certificate and equivalent experience
- Experience teaching English as a second/foreign language to Japanese speakers
- Experience creating language learning material/curricula
- Basic computer skills (Google docs, spreadsheets)
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Strong working proficiency in Japanese
- Ability to work at least 20 hours a week
Exceptional candidates will have:
- PhD in education, TESOL, or a related field
- Native or near-native proficiency in Japanese
- Familiarity with the Common European Framework of Reference for Language (CEFR)
- Experience in team teaching, supervision of others, and/or project management
Please apply by sending your resume to the application email provided below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: learning-sciences
Page Updated: 15-May-2020