LINGUIST List 31.1994
Wed Jun 17 2020
Support: Slavic; Russian; Text/Corpus Linguistics: PhD, UiT The Arctic University of Norway
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Laura A. Janda <laura.janda
Slavic; Russian; Text/Corpus Linguistics: PhD, UiT The Arctic University of Norway, Norway E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Department of Language and Culture
Web Address: https://uit.no/enhet/isk
Institution/Organization: UiT The Arctic University of Norway
Specialty Areas: Text/Corpus Linguistics
Required Language(s): Russian (rus)
PhD Fellow in Linguistics - Keyword/Keymorph Analysis of Russian and Norwegian News Media
The PhD position is part of the THREAT-DEFUSER project which explores the role of “soft” information strategies propagated through mass and social media that can be used in hybrid warfare. We investigate Norwegian perceptions of Russia, as well as Russian perceptions of Norway, in the context of Norwegian national security.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop, in collaboration with colleagues at UiT and Charles University, Keyword/Keymorph analysis methods for Russian Assist in developing Keyword/Keymorph analysis methods for Norwegian and North Saami.
- Carry out Keyword/Keymorph analysis on texts with prominent threat-related content, and on alternative texts representing less extreme ideological viewpoints. Assist colleagues in carrying out Keyword/Keymorph analysis on additional texts and carrying out collaborative meta-analysis across texts and languages.
- Contextualize findings with reference to the political economy of digital technologies with particular focus on social media.
- Contribute to critical academic reflections on the individual and societal implications of digital technologies in terms of propaganda, censorship, and governance.
- Critically reflect upon possible unintended consequences of the devised analytical methods in terms of propaganda and new forms of censorship.
- Write up results in dissertation/articles for scholarly journals.
- Assist in production of a webpage and podcast series to disseminate results Assist in organizing conferences and outreach activities.
The appointed position must have her/his daily workplace at the UiT, campus Tromsø.
The position is for a period of four years. The nominal length of the PhD program is three years. The fourth year is distrubuted as 25 % each year, and will consist of teaching and other duties for the Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences and Education.
Please use the application link below to find the complete announcement and to apply for this position.
Web Address for Applications: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/186159/phd-fellow-in-linguistics-keyword-keymorph-analysis-of-russian-and-norwegian-news-media
Professor Laura A. Janda
Page Updated: 17-Jun-2020