LINGUIST List 31.2000
Wed Jun 17 2020
Summer Schools: Online workshop for linguists: ''Learing to use the Terminal'' / Online
Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinsonlinguistlist.org>
Mario Barcala <barcala
Online workshop for linguists: ''Learing to use the Terminal'' / Online E-mail this message to a friend
Dates: 20-Jul-2020 - 24-Jul-2020
Location: Online, Online, Spain
Focus: Learning to use the Terminal for working with corpora
Minimum Education Level: No Minimum
What is the Terminal?
It is the usual black or white background application available in any operating system which allows the users to run commands. It is also called the command interpreter.
What it is useful for?
It is useful for many different things, among them making different kinds of transformations on files and, therefore, it allows us to make some interesting corpus calculations, which would otherwise be very difficult to make.
1. Preparation: installing the necessary tools and setup the working environment.
2. Basic concepts: file and folder structure, file types, character encodings (types, differences and compatibility problems).
3. Basic commands: show files available in a folder, change current folder, show file contents, copy and move files, column extraction and reordering, result sorting, etc.
4. Advanced commands and transformations: standard input/output/error, command chaining, finding file names, text finding and replacing, applying commands to several files at a time.
5. Regular expressions: advaced text search and replacement techniques
6. Corpus specific tasks: Working with data from spreadsheets, texts (orthographic words) and Part-Of-Speech tagged texts (grammatical elements).
Workshop language will be Spanish
Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics
Tuition: 100 EURO
Tuition Explanation: All taxes included
Registration: 15-Jun-2020 to 10-Jul-2020
Contact Person: Mario Barcala
Page Updated: 17-Jun-2020