LINGUIST List 31.2104
Mon Jun 29 2020
Jobs: Chinese, Mandarin; English; Applied Linguistics: Freelancer, Duolingo
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Danchen Yang <danchen
Chinese, Mandarin; English; Applied Linguistics: Freelancer, Duolingo E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Duolingo
Job Location: , ---------------- (Telecommute)
Web Address: https://www.duolingo.com/
Job Title: Expert in teaching English to speakers of Chinese at Duolingo (freelance)
Job Rank: Freelancer; Other
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; ESL; EFL
Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn) English (eng)
Use your expertise in teaching English to Chinese speakers to help bring English language education to the world.
Duolingo is looking for an ESL/EFL expert who has native proficiency in English and strong working proficiency in Chinese, who has experience teaching English to Chinese speakers, and who has experience developing language learning curricula. This is a temporary freelance position (no benefits included). All work will be conducted remotely and hours are flexible.
- Use your pedagogical expertise to develop creative course content for an online English course that is aligned with the standards of the CEFR and designed for Chinese-speaking English learners.
- Develop a scope and sequence for the course and write content for beginning English language learners in cooperation with members of Duolingo’s learning and curriculum team.
- Exercise creativity and humor to ensure that course material is fun and engaging.
- Help define project details, set timeframes, and coordinate project activities.
- Native proficiency in English
- MA in TESOL/related field or TESOL certificate and equivalent experience
- Experience teaching English as a second/foreign language to Chinese speakers
- Experience creating language learning material/curricula
- Basic computer skills (Google docs, spreadsheets)
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Strong working proficiency in Chinese
- Ability to work at least 20 hours a week
- Ability to have daily meetings sometime between 10am-9pm CSD (China Standard Time); we are flexible regarding the exact time
Exceptional candidates will have:
- PhD in education, TESOL, or a related field
- Native or near-native proficiency in Chinese
- Familiarity with the Common European Framework of Reference for Language (CEFR)
- Experience in team teaching, supervision of others, and/or project management
Please see the application link below to apply.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://duolingo.breezy.hr/p/587231b126b4
Senior Curriculum Designer Danchen Yang
Page Updated: 29-Jun-2020