LINGUIST List 31.2170
Fri Jul 03 2020
Jobs: Chinese, Mandarin; English; Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Ling & Literature; Translation: Assistant Professor, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Melody Ho <hrmelody
Chinese, Mandarin; English; Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Ling & Literature; Translation: Assistant Professor, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Kowloon, Hong Kong E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Department: Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies
Job Location: Kowloon, Hong Kong
Web Address: http://www.cbs.polyu.edu.hk/
Job Title: Assistant Professor in Translation and Interpreting
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Ling & Literature; Translation
Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn) English (eng)
THE HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) is a government-funded tertiary institution in Hong Kong. It offers programmes at various levels including Doctorate, Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees. It has a full-time academic staff strength of around 1,200. The total annual consolidated expenditure budget of the University is in excess of HK$7.4 billion.
Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies
Assistant Professor in Translation and Interpreting (Ref. 20070309)
The Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies is one of the constituent departments of the Faculty of Humanities. More information about the CBS Department may be found at http://www.cbs.polyu.edu.hk/
The appointee will be required to:
- Engage in teaching and related learning activities at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- Assume an important role in curriculum design and development;
- Undertake academic research in his/her area of expertise, including but not limited to making applications for external research grants;
- Provide administrative support for academic development and departmental objectives, and play an active role in programme management;
- Render professional service to the discipline and/or the community at large; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Head of Department or his/her delegates.
Applicants should have:
- A PhD degree in a relevant discipline, preferably with the specialism in Chinese-English or English-Chinese Translation & Interpreting (involving Cantonese and/or Mandarin);
- Relevant post-qualification teaching and research experience and a proven record of relevant academic and/or professional achievements;
- A high level of fluency in English; and - a strong commitment to excellence in teaching, scholarly activities and professional service.
Applicants should normally have evidence-based research experience (as supported by evidence of research projects and outputs). Experience in postdoctoral research will be a plus.
[Applicants who have responded to the previous advertisement need not re-apply.]
Remuneration and Conditions of Service:
A highly competitive remuneration package will be offered. Initial appointments will be on a fixed-term gratuity-bearing contract. Re-engagement thereafter is subject to mutual agreement. For general information on terms and conditions for appointment of academic staff in the University, please visit the website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/TC.htm
. Applicants should state their current and expected salary in the application.
Please send a completed application form by post to the mailing address provided below or via email to the application email provided below.
Application forms can be downloaded from the application link provided below.
If a separate curriculum vitae is to be provided, please still complete the application form which will help speed up the recruitment process. Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. The University’s Personal Information Collection Statement for recruitment can be found at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/pics.php
PolyU is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, ethnicity, nationality, family status or physical or mental disabilities.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Human Resources Office, 13/F,
Li Ka Shing Tower,
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University,
Hung Hom, Kowloon
Email Address for Applications: hrstaff
Web Address for Applications: http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/forms.php
Human Resources Office
Page Updated: 03-Jul-2020