LINGUIST List 31.2253
Fri Jul 10 2020
Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Research Engineer, Educational Testing Service
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Dave Yanchuk <dyanchuk
Computational Linguistics: Research Engineer, Educational Testing Service, Princeton, New Jersey, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Educational Testing Service
Job Location: New Jersey, USA
Web Address: https://www.ets.org/
Job Title: Associate Research Engineer
Job Rank: Other; Research Engineer
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics
Educational Testing Service (ETS), with headquarters in Princeton, NJ, is the world’s premier educational measurement institution and a leader in educational research. As an innovator in developing achievement and occupational tests for clients in business, education, and government, we are determined to advance educational excellence for the communities we serve.
ETS's Research & Development division has an opening for an Associate Research Engineer in the NLP & Speech research group. The projects in this research group focus on the application of NLP, speech, dialogue, and multimodal processing algorithms in automated scoring capabilities for assessment and learning tasks involving constructed responses (such as essays and spoken responses). In addition to its signature automated scoring systems for speech and text assessments, the group is actively pursuing technology innovation in education and learning spaces by performing foundational research, prototyping next-generation capabilities, and collaborating with academic and industry partners. This is an excellent opportunity to be part of a world-renowned research and development team and have a significant impact on existing and next-generation NLP, speech, dialogue, and multimodal systems and their use in educational applications.
- Assist in the implementation of assessment components including NLP, speech processing, dialogue systems, or multimodal processing in the scope of medium- to large-scale, complex research projects for ETS researchers, testing program areas, and external clients. Consult with research scientists in the application, modification, and documentation of such systems using established technologies and novel approaches from the research literature.
- Analyze, design, modify, develop, document and implement technologies for executing medium- to large-scale, complex NLP, speech, dialogue, and multimodal research and development tasks.
- Consult with research supervisory staff on the development of technologies for executing medium- to large-scale, complex NLP, speech, dialogue, and multimodal research and development tasks. Contribute to the implementation and support of new NLP, speech, dialog, and multimodal methodologies to support research system development.
- Assist in the preparation of research project proposals and cost/resource estimates.
- Implement components of technical documentation of NLP, speech, dialogue, and multimodal systems, solutions and results.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, NLP, Cognitive Science, Educational Technology, Human Computer-Interaction, Language Technology, Computational Linguistics, Linguistics or a closely related field.
- A strong programming background (preferably in Python), and facility with computational algorithms are essential. Experience in statistics and using machine learning toolkits (such as scikit-learn and Tensorflow) are highly desirable.
- Experience with text, speech, dialog, and multimodal processing tools/frameworks (such as NLTK, Praat, OpenSMILE and Kaldi) is desirable.
- Knowledge of UNIX and Windows computing environments and familiarity with UNIX tools, scripting languages, and tools for managing software projects.
- Familiarity with algorithms, methods and data structures in common use in the processing of speech, language, dialogue, and multimodal data.
For a full list of position responsibilities and to apply please visit the application link provided below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://bit.ly/3eflXVV
Page Updated: 10-Jul-2020