LINGUIST List 31.2274
Tue Jul 14 2020
Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Programmer, University of Zurich
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Agnes Kolmer <agnes.kolmer
Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Programmer, University of Zurich, Switzerland E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Zurich
Department: Linguistic Research Infrastructure
Job Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Web Address: https://www.liri.uzh.ch/en.html
Job Title: Linguistic Application Engineer
Job Rank: Programmer
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Computer Science
Linguistic Application Engineer (50 – 80 % FTE)
The Center for Linguistic Research Infrastructure (LiRI) is a newly established service unit with integrated facilities for large-volume data processing and empirical science. We work on the design and implementation of a research infrastructure that allows linguists and other researchers working on language-related data to collect, extract and analyze large data sets using advanced language computing technology and devices for experimental research (see also https://www.liri.uzh.ch/en.html
LiRI seeks to fill the position of a Linguistic Application Engineer to enhance our team starting as soon as possible. The appointment is initially for two years with possible extension. IT-services of LiRI are developed in close cooperation with S3IT, a unit of the University of Zurich specialized in developing and operating research IT infrastructures.
- Design user interfaces for searching and retrieving information from
large amounts of complex linguistic data. Work with users and backend
developers to ensure a seamless experience.
- Develop custom code and customize existing software to access systems via their API, develop workflows to ensure data is seamlessly transferred between applications.
- Work with the software and the data in the field of linguistics and natural language processing, with some components adapted from other domains (e.g. biology, computer science).
The successful candidate will assist in establishing the LiRI application infrastructure. The candidate will work closely with faculty members on their requirements for the services and will manage the implementation of solutions. The candidate will also work with LiRI and university admin.
- Background in Computer and /or Corpus Linguistics or Computer Science
- Degree (BA or MA) or proven working experience in computer / corpus linguistics / language science / computer science or related field.
- Experience in the development of web-/frontend, UX
- Good command of English; knowledge of the German language is an asset
We strongly aim at gender balance and particularly encourage women to apply.
The position is to start as soon as possible for two years with the possibility of extension, subject to performance and budgetary developments.
How to apply:
Please send your full application including:
- A cover letter that relates the applicants’ experience and interests to the position
- A comprehensive CV, including relevant certificates (degree certificates etc.)
- The names and contact information of at least two referees
combined as a single PDF file to the application email provided below.
Job interviews are scheduled for week 34 (starting at August 17). For informal discussions about the position and more information please contact Prof Dr Noah Bubenhofer at the contact information below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: info.liri
Prof Dr Noah Bubenhofer
Page Updated: 14-Jul-2020