LINGUIST List 31.2301
Fri Jul 17 2020
Jobs: Language Acquisition; Language Documentation; Ling & Literature; Philosophy of Language; Translation: Assistant Professor, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Melody Ho <hrmelody
Language Acquisition; Language Documentation; Ling & Literature; Philosophy of Language; Translation: Assistant Professor, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Department: Department of English
Job Location: Kowloon, Hong Kong
Web Address: http://www.engl.polyu.edu.hk/
Job Title: Assistant Professor
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; Language Documentation; Ling & Literature; Philosophy of Language; Translation; Intercultural Communication
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Department of English
Assistant Professor in Area Studies & Intercultural Communication / Language Teaching & Learning (Ref. 20071609)
The Department of English within the Faculty of Humanities at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University has a long history of producing high quality graduates for the professional workplace. Our focus areas are professional communication and applied language studies, and we provide teaching to undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes. With a team of 25 full-time academic staff, the Department is also actively engaged in applied research in language and communication. Information can be obtained through the departmental homepage at http://www.engl.polyu.edu.hk/
, including information about the key areas of research at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/engl/study/pg-research-prog/68-study/pg-research-prog/377-applying-for-research-study
The Department is now inviting applications for the position of Assistant Professor. Priority will be given to candidates whose research expertise and teaching experience are within the two key research areas listed above.
The appointee will be required to:
- Teach subjects in the Department’s undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes
- Contribute to the curriculum design and materials development;
- Supervise undergraduate and postgraduate student projects (including PhD supervision);
- Actively conduct research in the Department’s research areas and contribute to the development of its research strengths; and
- Assist in the administration of the Department.
Applicants should have:
- A PhD degree in Language & Intercultural Communication, Language Teaching & Learning, or a related area;
- A recognised teaching qualification;
- Post-qualification teaching experience in relevant subjects at tertiary level with a demonstrated record of excellence in teaching (as supported by evidence of performance in teaching);
- An excellent track record of published research, including experience in project-based research and grant applications; and
- Excellent English language and communication skills.
Remuneration and Conditions of Service:
A highly competitive remuneration package will be offered. Initial appointment will be on a fixed-term gratuity-bearing contract. Re-engagement thereafter is subject to mutual agreement. For general information on terms and conditions for appointment of academic staff in the University, please visit the website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/TC.htm
. Applicants should state their current and expected salary in the application.
Please send a completed application form by post the mailing address below or my email to the application email provided below.
Application forms can be downloaded from the application link below. If a separate curriculum vitae is to be provided, please still complete the application form which will help speed up the recruitment process. Consideration of applications will commence on 31 July 2020 until the position is filled.
The University’s Personal Information Collection Statement for recruitment can be found at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/pics.php
PolyU is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, ethnicity, nationality, family status or physical or mental disabilities.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Human Resources Office, 13/F,
Li Ka Shing Tower,
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University,
Hung Hom, Kowloon
Email Address for Applications: hrstaff
Web Address for Applications: http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/forms.php
Human Resources Office
Page Updated: 17-Jul-2020