LINGUIST List 31.2349
Wed Jul 22 2020
Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, The University of British Columbia
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Vicki Ferguson <vicki.ferguson
Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: The University of British Columbia
Department: Department of Linguistics
Job Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Web Address: https://linguistics.ubc.ca/
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Teaching, Computational Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics
The Department of Linguistics at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, invites applications for a tenure-track position in Computational Linguistics to begin January 1, 2021, with appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor of Teaching.
- The successful candidate will be joining the team of faculty and staff who run UBC’s Master of Data Science – Computational Linguistics.
- The rank of Assistant Professor of Teaching is a classification within what UBC terms the “Educational Leadership” stream. The primary responsibilities of this position involve teaching and educational leadership, rather than research.
- The successful candidate will be expected to maintain an active program of excellent (1) teaching, which will include a variety of courses, mostly at the graduate level within the Master of Data Science – Computational Linguistics program, but potentially also outside the program at the undergraduate level, as well as graduate advising (2) educational leadership, especially in the area of curriculum or program development, and (3) service (typical service includes participating in departmental meetings, serving on select departmental / faculty / university committees)
- As this is a tenure-track position, the successful candidate will be reviewed for reappointment, tenure, and promotion in subsequent years, in accordance with UBC’s Collective Agreement.
- Candidates must have a Ph.D. in Linguistics, Computer Science, or a closely related field with a primary specialization in Computational Linguistics or Natural Language Processing.
- Candidates should have knowledge of machine learning techniques and be familiar with at least two of the following areas: computational morphology, computational pragmatics, computational semantics, parsing, sentiment analysis, speech technology, information extraction, and machine translation.
- Candidates should have experience building data-driven computational models of natural language using Python.
- Candidates should have experience running programming labs or other hands-on seminars.
- Candidates are expected to demonstrate a record of or strong potential for high-quality teaching, service, and educational leadership that is inclusive and welcoming to students from a variety of backgrounds.
How to Apply:
Applicants are asked to provide all of the following:
- A letter of application that describes how they fit the position;
- A curriculum vitae;
- A 1-2 page statement of vision for computational linguistics education (describing, for instance, the applicant’s perspective on what data science is, what they think people need to learn about computational linguistics at the master’s level, what/how to teach in ways that are responsive to industry needs);
- A 1-2 page statement of past and/or potential contributions to educational leadership;
- A 1-2-page statement about their experience working with a diverse student body and their contributions or potential contributions to creating/advancing a culture of equity and inclusion;
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness (teaching evaluation scores / reports, sample course materials, examples of curriculum development, etc.);
And arrange for:
- Three confidential signed letters of recommendation.
Application materials must be submitted online at the application email provided below.
Review of applications will begin soon after August 23, 2020, and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: https://linguistics.ubc.ca/positions/faculty/
Page Updated: 22-Jul-2020