LINGUIST List 31.2573
Thu Aug 13 2020
FYI: Free Webinar - The Language of Covid-19: A Special OED Update
Editor for this issue: Everett Green <everettlinguistlist.org>
OED Team <oed.uk
Free Webinar - The Language of Covid-19: A Special OED Update E-mail this message to a friend
When: Thu 10 September 2020, 15:00-16:00 BST (UTC+1)
Book your place here: http://tiny.cc/OED-Covid-19
Great social change tends to bring great linguistic change, and this has never been truer than in the Covid-19 crisis. We have seen new coinages; the adaptation of existing terms to talk about the pandemic and its social and economic impacts; and the widespread use of terms previously restricted to fields such as epidemiology and medicine. In order to take account of these developments, the OED has been updated outside of our regular quarterly releases.
Join OED editors Fiona McPherson, Trish Stewart, and Kate Wild for a live interactive online session where they will present the rationale behind these special updates, the processes involved, and the resources used.
This session will cover:
- how the words are chosen
- inherent challenges in defining the terms
- an in-depth look at the science words we've added and updated
- an in-depth look at some of the general terms
- using corpora to track changes in language, with examples
- available information and how to access it: word frequency, wordlists
- future developments as the pandemic-related language evolves
- Q&A time – bring your questions to the panellists, or send them in advance to oed.uk
Who is this for?
- Researchers working with the general and/or scientific language of Covid-19
This webinar will be recorded and will be made available for viewing after the live session. All registrants will be notified.
Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; Clinical Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Discipline of Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Language Documentation; Lexicography; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics
Page Updated: 13-Aug-2020