LINGUIST List 31.2615
Wed Aug 19 2020
Support: English; Cognitive Science; Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics: PhD, Humboldt University of Berlin
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Mingya Liu <mingya.liu
English; Cognitive Science; Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics: PhD, Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Department of English and American Studies
Web Address: https://www.angl.hu-berlin.de
Institution/Organization: Humboldt University of Berlin
Duties: Research,Project Work
Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The Research Group of Dr. Mingya Liu at the Department of English and American Studies invites applications for 1 PhD position (Reference number: DR/143/20) to be filled on a fixed-term basis of 3 years (01.01.2021-31.12.2023).
The candidate is to participate in the research activities within the DFG-funded research project “Pragmatic Functions and Effects of Register Variation and Switch: a Register approach to negation and polarity” (RATNAP, for more information, see: https://sfb1412.hu-berlin.de/projects/a07/
). Responsibilities include particularly the investigation of negation and polarity items, and the publication of the results.
- The candidate is expected to pursue a PhD in linguistics.
- The RATNAP is one of the participating projects in the Collaborative Research Center CRC1412 (in German, SFB) ‘Register: Language Users’ Knowledge of Situational-Functional Variation’ (http://sfb1412.hu-berlin.de
) at the Humboldt-University of Berlin and the Leibniz-Centre General Linguistics (ZAS). The CRC has an Integrated Graduate School serving, among others, the Ph.D. students and early career postdocs in the CRC.
- The position will be part-time (65%); salary and social benefits are determined by the German public service pay scale (E13 TV-L).
- Applicants should have completed an excellent academic degree (Master/Diploma) in linguistics, cognitive science, psychology or related fields by the planned start date of 01.01.2021. PhD holders are not eligible for this position.
- Knowledge of formal semantic- and pragmatic theories, and experience with sociolinguistic or psycholinguistic methods (experimental design, data analysis) is mandatory, as well as an excellent command of English.
- The candidate should have skills of taking initiative, collaboration and time management.
- Knowledge of a variety of English (e.g. Black English, Hong Kong English, etc.) or experience with corpus-linguistic methods is not required, but a plus.
Please send your application with the following documents by e-mail (using the subject line: DR/143/20: your full name) in one single PDF-file to mingya.liu
- Motivation letter,
- Names of 2 references.
HU is seeking to increase the proportion of women in research and teaching, and specifically encourages qualified female scholars to apply. Severely disabled applicants with equivalent qualifications will be given preferential consideration. People with an immigration background are specifically encouraged to apply. Since we will not return your documents, please submit copies in the application only.
Further information can be obtained from Dr. Mingya Liu (mingya.liu
hu-berlin.de). Please visit our website (https://www.hu-berlin.de/de/service/arbeit/stellen
) which gives you access to the legally binding German version.
Applications Deadline: 02-Sep-2020
Mailing Address for Applications:
Attn: Prof. Dr. Mingya Liu
Unter den Linden 6
Humboldt University of Berlin
Web Address for Applications: https://www.hu-berlin.de/de/service/arbeit/stellen
Dr. Mingya Liu
Page Updated: 19-Aug-2020