LINGUIST List 31.2754
Tue Sep 08 2020
Support: Pragmatics; Semantics: PhD, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Xavier Villalba <Xavier.Villalba
Pragmatics; Semantics: PhD, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Centre de Lingüística Teòrica
Web Address: http://filcat.uab.cat/clt/
Institution/Organization: Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Specialty Areas: Pragmatics; Semantics
The research group of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona on Compositionality of meaning and, in particular, on The Interpretation of Functional Categories (FFI2017-82547-P) invites applications for a three and four-year predoctoral fellowship of the program “Investigadors Predoctorals” and “Contratos Predoctorales para la Formación de Doctores”, funded by the Catalan and the Spanish Government, respectively.
The central topics of this research will be to investigate in one of the three following topics:
- Whether functional categories have an inherent semantic import and may also have a pragmatic import, and how these meanings are formally encoded.
- Whether there are cross-categorial semantic notions that are represented formally by means of the same functional projections in different domains.
- How syntax plays a role in composing the meaning of functional categories.
The predoctoral fellow will become a member of the above mentioned project, at the Centre de Lingüística Teòrica, where (s)he will be hosted. (S)he will also enroll in the Cognitive Science and Language interuniversity PhD program at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
Applicants must hold a grade in Linguistics. Those who are interested, please send to a .pdf file containing the following items (in the order listed):
- A cover letter with a brief expression of interest, which should contain the schema of the project to be developed in the four years;
- A detailed academic curriculum vitae with the scores obtained in the Linguistics training, and
- Two reference letters. Please include “predoctoral fellowship” in the email subject line.
Preselected candidates will then be requested to provide a detailed work-plan for a maximum of a three or a four-year period, and to fill up the application form as soon as the two calls mentioned above are open in the official site.
Detailed information about the the 2019 calls can be found at: https://agaur.gencat.cat/en/beques-i-ajuts/convocatories-per-temes/Ajuts-per-a-la-contractacio-de-personal-investigador-novell-FI-2020?historic=8ed53afe-d92f-11e9-abcb-005056924a59
Web Address for Applications: https://tinyurl.com/y4ae7m3k
Prof. Xavier Villalba
Page Updated: 08-Sep-2020