LINGUIST List 31.2779
Fri Sep 11 2020
Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Semantics; Sociolinguistics; Syntax: Post Doc, UNC Chapel Hill
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Misha Becker <mbecker
Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Semantics; Sociolinguistics; Syntax: Post Doc, UNC Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: UNC Chapel Hill
Job Location: North Carolina, USA
Web Address: https://linguistics.unc.edu/
Job Title: Postdoctoral Fellow
Job Rank: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Semantics; Sociolinguistics; Syntax; Hispanic Linguistics; Contact Linguistics
As part of a continuing commitment to building a culturally diverse intellectual community and advancing scholars from underrepresented groups in higher education, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Carolina Postdoctoral Program for Faculty Diversity (CPPFD) is pleased to offer postdoctoral research appointments for a period of two years. The purpose of CPPFD is to develop scholars from underrepresented groups for possible tenure track appointments at the University of North Carolina and other research universities. Postdoctoral scholars will be engaged full-time in research and may teach only one course per fiscal year. This program is funded by the State of North Carolina.
The CPPFD is a nationally recognized and extremely competitive program. We typically receive more than 750 applications per year and typically fund 4-5 new postdoctoral researchers per year across the university.
Applications for study in any discipline represented on the campus are welcome. Please specify your discipline of interest when applying.
The Department of Linguistics is specifically interested in scholars whose work is in any of the following areas:
- Computational Linguistics
- Language Acquisition
- Hispanic Linguistics
- Contact Linguistics
- $50,000 per calendar year (STEM disciplines-based on qualifications)
- $2,000 per year research fund for research expenses, including travel.
- Applicants must have completed their doctoral degree or terminal degree in their field within the past five years and no later than July 1st of the award year.
- The primary criterion for selection is evidence of scholarship potentially competitive for tenure track appointments at the University of North Carolina and other research universities.
- An important secondary criterion is the support of prospective departments (see above).
- Preference will be given to individuals who are lawfully eligible to work in the United States. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill strongly encourages applications from individuals that have experience, background and/or scholarship that will contribute to the diversity of the campus community.
- Cover letter addressed to Vice Chancellor for Research
- Curriculum vitae
- A statement of research plans (1-3 pages)
- A contribution to diversity statement on why you should be selected for this program (1–3 pages)
- Writing samples (e.g., publications and/or dissertation chapters)
- Two references for letters of recommendation
- All materials must be submitted through online application system to be accepted: https://unc.peopleadmin.com
The next application deadline is November 15, 2020 at 11:59 EST.
Applications are accepted September 15th-November 15th.
For questions or additional information regarding the Carolina Postdoctoral Program for Faculty Diversity, please contact:
Director, Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
For questions about the Department of Linguistics, please contact:
Misha Becker, chair
UNC Department of Linguistics
Application Deadline: 15-Nov-2020
Professor Misha Becker
Page Updated: 11-Sep-2020