LINGUIST List 31.2919
Mon Sep 28 2020
Jobs: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Language Documentation; Sociolinguistics: Lecturer, University of the South Pacific
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Fiona Willans <fiona.willans
Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Language Documentation; Sociolinguistics: Lecturer, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of the South Pacific
Department: School of Language, Arts and Media
Job Location: Suva, Fiji
Web Address: https://www.usp.ac.fj/index.php?id=8885
Job Title: Lecturer in Linguistics
Job Rank: Lecturer
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Language Documentation; Sociolinguistics; Multilingualism and Multilingual Education
The University of the South Pacific is the leading tertiary education provider and research facility in the South Pacific. With students around the Pacific region, we are supported by 12 Pacific Island countries; Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu.
The School of Language, Arts and Media is seeking to appoint a linguist with expertise in one of the following: multilingualism, multilingual education, language acquisition or language documentation, with a focus on Pacific, minority or lesser-studied languages. The appointee will teach a variety of undergraduate and postgraduate courses, attract and supervise MA and PhD candidates, conduct and publish high-quality research and perform administrative tasks, as directed by the Head of School. The incumbent must have research publications that meet the University's Quality of Research criteria at the appropriate academic level.
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- A PhD in Linguistics or a related field and some tertiary teaching experience;
- Specialism in one of the following areas: multilingualism, multilingual education, language acquisition or language documentation, with a focus on Pacific, minority or lesser-studied languages;
- Ability to teach introductory linguistics courses covering phonology, morphology, syntax or semantics; and
- Administrative experience at the tertiary level and a solid research profile including publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Preference will be given to applicants who possess:
- Postgraduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching (PGCTT) or equivalent;
- Experience and knowledge relating to the languages of the Pacific and/or language issues faced in the Pacific region;
- Working knowledge of at least one indigenous Pacific language; and
- Experience of linguistic field research.
To apply, please follow the application link provided below.
Application Deadline: 08-Nov-2020
Web Address for Applications: http://www.usprecruits.usp.ac.fj
Dr Fiona Willans
Page Updated: 28-Sep-2020